Replacing shocks & struts on my '06 - tips for DIYers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Replacing shocks & struts on my '06 - tips for DIYers.

Pushing 70,000 miles and the ride was bouncier than ever (the loose tie rod up front isn't helping!). I never loved the factory ride so I decided to go with the Monroe Sensa-tracs. I got them from Amazon for about $65 for the pair (Monroe # 37217).

I installed them myself this weekend. Installation was fairly straightforward with a couple of exceptions...

1. The lower mounting nuts were TIGHT. Even with some liquid wrench I still needed to use a pipe on the end of the wrench for more leverage.

2. Getting the interior panels off was a pain too. You have to fold the rear seats down to be able to swing the panels out of the way far enough to wrench the upper nuts. But that wasn't too bad either.

The biggest TIP I can offer though has to do with the TSB for the squeaky rear end. If you had this TSB done like I did, they drilled out the upper mounting hole to about 7/8" and use a custom grommet/bushing that actually goes through the new opening.

Name:  sMFuZl.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  22.7 KB

Mine were torn up and you can't use the provided bushings that come with the replacements. The parts counter couldn't even find a part number for them. I had to have him look up the TSB to identify the proper part. It comes as a kit.
Its labeled "AD-1057" and the part # appears to be "7L8Z-18198-A"
List price was like $36 but he let me have it for $30. It contains all the grommets/bushings, washers and nuts needed to do both sides.

Luckily they were able to get them for me the same day otherwise I would have had to put everything back together with the old ones and then re-do it again.

Just thought I would share in case it helps anyone else avoid being stuck without the right parts. If you aren't sure, you can tell by simply opening up one of the interior panels and taking off the upper nut and washer. The nut/washer is a single unit, then there is a donut-like bushing and then there is the pass-through bushing that comes up through the middle of the donut. If you have that and its damaged, you need the replacement kit. If you just have a washer and a single bushing you can use the replacements that come with the new shocks.

I just got the quick struts for the front end today ($113 ea from Amazon delivered). Having them installed tomorrow. I'd do it myself but I know I'd run into a problem with a stuck nut or broken bolt and be in a tough situation on a Sunday afternoon. I'm having a local shop put them on for me instead. After that its the front left tie rod end and an alignment and she should be better than new!

Last edited by Tim K; 10-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.