Requesting badly needed info!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Soon to own a Hybrid :D
Default Requesting badly needed info!

Hello all, sorry if I annoy you for being new to the entire hybrid thing but I'm in heavy debate with myself. I really like the Ford Escape Hybrid (sorry, since I'm new I'm not very good with your terminology) and I'm thinking of getting one. The intitial price seems steep....27k in my area for the basic package. Right now I drive a 99 Dodge Durango...at a STUNNING 12-15MPG. I dont make that much...in fact i bring home around $140 a week. (I go to school full time and work all that I can). Sadly, I'll be moving back in with my parents over the summer (not because of money, but have to wait till my g/fs lease is up so we can live together). And I love SUV's! I cant stand having a dinky little car especially when I want to move a lot of stuff around!

So here are my questions.

1.) Should I invest in the FEH? Is it worth it?

2.) What would I save annually in gas?

3.) Is there a different Hybrid I should get?

4.) How far do you think I could haggle them down?

Your help would be GREATLY appreciated. I need some convincing.

Keep in mind I'm a 21 year old US Army combat veteran...at times driving slow makes my blood boil.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Requesting badly needed info!

Sorry to disappoint. Assuming your truck is paid off, you'll never make up the different on a $27K loan no matter how expense gas gets. A seven year loan for $27K (forgetting taxes, tags, etc.) is around $500 a month. Not to mention you'll pay more for insurance at your age.

FEHs are not as much in demand as some of the others such as a Prius or Civic but you might be able to deal a little.

Keep the truck and save like crazy so you can afford something later on.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:16 PM

I forgot to include that I'll be trading in my durango (they offered 6.5k) plus I have 5k banked and ready to be thrown down on it. That would put me at...16k? How does that look? Put it on a 5 year financing?

Old 02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mp_oif2
I forgot to include that I'll be trading in my durango (they offered 6.5k) plus I have 5k banked and ready to be thrown down on it. That would put me at...16k? How does that look? Put it on a 5 year financing?
My opinion would be to stay pat on what you have, unless you have some serious mechanical costs coming up. Save what you can savebetween now and when you finish school. When you get out and get better situated then go looking. My guess is in the next 2-3 years you will be seeing the hybrid premium come down as the technology continues to be fanned out into more and more models.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

Originally Posted by mp_oif2
As much as I like the SUVs, including the Ford Escape Hybrid, I would advise against buying a new car ... of any kind. You're at the point where a 'good' used car is you best bet. There's nothing wrong with getting out of you Durango though, but do some soul searching to be sure you need an SUV sized vehicle. (most of us made it through college just fine with far smaller vehicles -- trailers, UHaul, friends and parent often come through for the few times you need something larger)

I generally recommend efficient well maintained hatchback vehicles for people just getting established. I'm partial to the VW TDI, but there are several 'lesser' vehicles in that size and format too. Besides the uniqueness of driving a diesel you can consider using biodiesel and pat yourself on the back for promoting clean, renewable, domestic alternatives to petroleum. Diesel are long lasting, hold their value surprisingly well, very economical and the Golf model can be crammed full of everything most young couples need to move around. (including toddlers)

Think again before you sign a financing agreement for a new car.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:10 PM

Well, regardless, I cant afford the $46+ fillups every week...that's a car payment right there. I need something, and as much as I'm moving...which is pretty constant being in the military, an SUV would be superb

Old 02-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You are finally going to get info from someone who actually OWNS a Ford Escape Hybrid. I love it. It is the most fun to drive of any car I can ever owned. Do you like to "tinker"? Do you like to push economy to the limit? Are you willing to accelerate more slowly? Ultimate speed is not so much a killer as fast starts.

Also, do you expect to go faster than 65 MPH on a regular basis?
Do you plan to do lots of driving around streets under 40 MPH?

If you will spend much of your time at or below 40 MPH, then the FEH is for you.
If you plan to drive fast all the time, you will end up toteing around a big battery pack and hardly use it. Then the FEH is not for you.

With practice, in the city, with as much "pulse & glide" as possible.... you can get 50 MPG in a FEH. It's true. In the city, on days above freezing, the FEH will go 2 miles off battery, followed by 2 miles from gas... repeat as often as possible!
This is a 100% gain in gas mileage, not 50% like advertised.
( The 50% takes into account highway driving also, which most people do each week. )

Over the Highway, if you can keep it under 65 MPH, you can get 37+ MPG. If you can keep it at 60 MPH, you'll net 40+ MPG. It's true.

Over 65MPH, the mileage drops like a brick, as this vehicle is shaped like a brick. At higher speeds, this car cuts through the air like a parachute!

Unless you live in Buffalo NY, or somewhere else with more than 100" of snow per year... go with the 2 WD model. I live near Denver, and with about 48" of snow per year, and no more than 6" per storm, 2WD will do just as well as 4WD.

Finally, costs... you get OVER $2000 back on your federal taxes.
Some states give up to $3000 rebates on your state taxes...
And you can go 500 miles or more per 14 gallon fill up.
Figure how many miles you will go in an average year, and there's the gas savings. If you keep this car more than 5 years, you will PROBABLY make back ALL the money you spent on the Hybrid, vs. a Std Escape.... and you will have polluted less along the way, and purchased less foreign oil. Keep it more than 5-6 years, and you start saving money. Bonus. The battery is warrented for 8 years, or 10 years if you live in a "green" state.

Of course, you need to consider your financial situation now, not 5 years from now...

Plus! It is just the coolest thing to drive around in silent "stealth" mode... with just a small hum for all the electronics... no engine on!

Now... if you plan to just turn the key and go, and go fast... expect as low as 29-30 MPG. Short of running it at idle all the time, it's hard to get less than 30 MPG.... and it is hard to get more than 40 MPG. But each is possible.

30 MPG, easy. Gimmie.
40 MPG, hard, but very possible.

Most people are in the 33-35 MPG range in a 2WD.

If it's very cold, you'll be at the low end of MPG.
I'm near Denver, but you can see how I'm doing.
My best "scores" ( some people call all this the "MPG GAME"...) are in summer.

Cheers! And Good Luck!
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 02-15-2006 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-2006, 04:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

gps gave great advice.

Another way to think of hybrids- forget about "recouping the premium." Think of hybrid is an OPTION PACKAGE on the base vehicle that you'd buy anyway. Just like getting the upped-stereo or leather or DVD. Only those packages do nothing but depreciate. When's the last someone talked about the payback time for the $1500 DVD system in the car? Its almost absurd, and has stopped many naysayers I know in their tracks.

Nobody goes with higher trim levels for the payback down the line. You get options because you either want or need to have them and they fit your needs and priorities. Likewise for hybrid- a package that fits your set of priorities and needs/wants. If the price is right and/or you really really want it, then get it. If not, wait or find something else. The 08 model year will be a watershed for new models and availability. And stop worrying about the payback time. Life gets simpler that way.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm. Although I agree with gpsman and gonavy about considering the Hybrid as a package option, I don't think it is the right move for you. First, I'll answer your questions directly.

1.) Should I invest in the FEH? Is it worth it?

You probably won't recoup your extra costs vs the v6 model. Your chances of making up the difference depend on how much you drive, and how you drive. Since you are 21 and don't like to drive slow, I'd bet you will fall on the low end of the MPG rating. Just a guess though.

2.) What would I save annually in gas?

Again, this depends on how much you drive. You can figure this out better than we can by looking at the mileage database, taking a low side number, and using your current mileage numbers as a comparison.

3.) Is there a different Hybrid I should get?

Your choices are still fairly limited, and unless you go used, they are all fairly pricey. Somehow, though, I can't see you buying a used Honda Insight.

4.) How far do you think I could haggle them down?

Unless you find one that has been on the lot a while, I doubt you will haggle them down much at all.

From what you've said about your finances, you should NOT be buying a new vehicle. If you do, buy something more in your price range like a Civic, or Mazda 3. They both get vastly better mileage than your Durango, and wouldn't send you to the poor house at the same time.

If you have to have an SUV, stick with yours, or find a used 4cyl suv that you can get for about the same price as your trade in.

Although I am a huge fan of hybrids, I don't think this is a question of hybrids. Wait until you are out of school and earning a good wage to find and buy the vehicle you want.

FWIW.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 AM

Ok...so far I've received amazing info. More than I expected! I should provide more information though, I believe a lot of it was lacking. Maybe with the following you can all make suggestions of which hybrid I should get.

Finances: (dont worry, I dont mind if you know what I bring home...nothing super impressive)
Work: Avg $140/wk
GI Bill: $297/month (soon to be $604/month since I've been overseas)
Financial Aid: $2,000 per semester
Drill Pay: $167/month

So that's around 1,024/month without the financial aid included. Over the summer....I'll be living with my parents...(bluh). SO I'll be saving huge. Plus, I'm trading in my Durango (est. 5-7k on trade in)

I dont know if they have any military discounts.

Also, on my driving. IF I could get as many MPG as gpsman was saying...I would definetely drive those speeds and change my driving style. On average, I drive 12 miles per day on the interstate. The rest is on the highway (at 55mph) and very little in a city (at 35mph). On the weekends I visit my parents (usually on Sunday) and 50 miles (there and back) is interstate driving. With 32 (there and back) being highway.

I REALLY want to get a SUV hybrid but I just might have to settle for a lil' one.

ALSO! (sorry for all the info) I'll be graduating from college in the fall of 06. I'll apply for the State Police as soon as I graduate. Classes for state police start in the spring. So...once I get that job I can for sure make the payments...so wouldnt it be a good idea to just go ahead and get one so I can start saving the gas money now?

Your info is so appreciated. Thank you all!

Quick Reply: Requesting badly needed info!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands