Requesting badly needed info!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Requesting badly needed info!

Originally Posted by casteld73
One of the members noted serious MPG drop off above 65mph.

I am starting to investigate new cars as mine is beginning to shows signs of wear- 100,000+ miles.

I drive 40 miles (one-way) to work every day. At least 35 of those miles are 65mph and higher driving. Someone noted that you wind up "toting" around a battery and would be better off with the V6.

That concerns me some. Does anyone drive long rolling hill interstates every day. I live in NYS where it is cold and we do get snow. My prelim vie of the FEH is a way to get V6 performance with V4 gas milage. My intention is not to cost justify the vehicle but to be able to trim the fuel costs of someone who needs a larger car.

From most of the [posts I have read it seem most get around 27MPG on the highway at higher speeds. This is what I get in my car which has a 3.0L V6 and is very aerodynamic.

Thanks for any input.

ps- someone mentionde wait until '08. Are there any published notes as to what will be improved?

My long commute with my AWD is 43 miles one way, 40 miles of which is expressway, with the Cruise Control at 65 MPH. I tend to get around 32 MPGs outside of extreme cold, wind, and snow conditions, though there isn't that much terrain change here.

It's not that you're toting around a big battery pack at high speeds, you're using it continiously on your expressway route, to give you power to accelerate and to help maintain speed along with the ICE, it's that it's not as efficient as you are at lower speeds, like 50 or so, where it's more optimized. As pointed out, the faster you go, it is the worse your MPGs, but that's true for all vehicles.

As for the '08, there's really no news. Either with the '07 or the '08 there will be a redesigned instrument cluster, and of course whatever little tweaks are made between the model years, but AFAIK, there's no big changes at all.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: Requesting badly needed info!

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
My long commute with my AWD is 43 miles one way, 40 miles of which is expressway, with the Cruise Control at 65 MPH. I tend to get around 32 MPGs outside of extreme cold, wind, and snow conditions, though there isn't that much terrain change here.

It's not that you're toting around a big battery pack at high speeds, you're using it continiously on your expressway route, to give you power to accelerate and to help maintain speed along with the ICE, it's that it's not as efficient as you are at lower speeds, like 50 or so, where it's more optimized. As pointed out, the faster you go, it is the worse your MPGs, but that's true for all vehicles.

As for the '08, there's really no news. Either with the '07 or the '08 there will be a redesigned instrument cluster, and of course whatever little tweaks are made between the model years, but AFAIK, there's no big changes at all.
If you're highway driving...the weight and particularly the wind resistance of the FEH will take it's toll on FE. (vs. a "car"). This make it somewhat less of a good deal.

However, if you compare apples to apples...the FEH is a significant improvement over the normal v6 Esacpe...even in mostly highway driving. We traded a '01 v6 gas Esacpe in for the FEH last year. The most I could coax out of the '01 was 23mpg...most of the time it was more like 20-21mpg. With the FEH...essentially the same vehicle size/capability...I now get 28-30mpg on the highway. (And that is speed limit +5mph, cruise, no hypermiling techniques used). I'm sure I could get even better mileage if I were to fret about it.

The point here is I increased my mileage without compromises, even on the highway.

Nate

Old 03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mp_oif2
Ok, I've made up my final decision...and here goes.

Since I'm moving back in with my parents (21 year old war veteran, been out since I was 17.....how embarassing). At least I'm not completely mooching. I'm helping my dad with all of his bills and going to cover the water bill, plus buy all the food for the place (big house...5 people will be living there). Never the less, it's still much cheaper then living by myself where my expenses right now are around $7-800. I know you rich people are probably like, "Dang, that kids dirt poor." I manage.

So, this summer, I will work as much as I can (while still spending some fun time in the sun, oh yeah!). I'm going to save every dime outside of bills, a little entertainment, gas, and upkeep on my vehicle. I'm also going to set aside the $2000 I'll be getting for next semester financial aid. So, right before going to the Police Academy, I'll see how much i've saved. If it's substantial, I'll probably get a hybrid. If it's not that great, I'll wait the duration of the academy (6 months) and then get one.

Like I said earlier, I've received stunning feedback. I'm VERY sorry I didnt mention I do drive a 95' Geo Metro. It's just that I need something that can replace BOTH of my vehicles: the 99 Durango and the Geo. Insurances sucks on two cars. Im calculating now what I get on my Geo..not bad I dont think. I filled it up last night....6.9 gallons. I've been driving it all week..and I put a fair amount of miles on it.

Again, thanks! I'll keep in touch!

First - Thank you for your service to our country!

Second - I think you've got your priorities together better than I did at 21. Your plan is well thought and intelligent - it's much better to be able set aside the money at will than being compelled to make a car payment. When you're on a budget that tight, unexpected circumstances can cause large problems (the voice of exerience speaking )

Good luck with school and life!

Cheers,
Jeff