Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   rescuing a clean 05, is there a thread to help me? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/rescuing-clean-05-there-thread-help-me-31376/)

newbie1kenobie 10-29-2017 05:34 PM

rescuing a clean 05, is there a thread to help me?

Just bought my first hybrid, got a deal because it was stuck in the 'sticks', boogerville road (actually on the map). No money for a tech right now, it drives great til about 30mph then slips badly and then the triangle and pull over and check emission system pops up. Restart it and repeat, the guy at advance parts store says there is no signal for the OB reader. The start battery is fresh and showing 12.7v, the seller says the emission message had been popping up for a while but a tech said it was no biggie. It was towed behind an rv for years, 352,000mls, rebuilt front suspension, small rust bubbles on rear wheel wells, no rust underneath. Thanks in advance for any advice, i would never have had the guts to buy this thing if i had not read your forum. Larry, St Augustine, Fl

S Keith 10-29-2017 06:06 PM

Re: rescuing a clean 05, is there a thread to help me?

Your own laptop +

MinVCI cable

Forscan software

newbie1kenobie 10-29-2017 07:23 PM

ok, i'll give that a try, can that be left on like a monitor while driving?

S Keith 10-29-2017 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by newbie1kenobie (Post 264002)
ok, i'll give that a try, can that be left on like a monitor while driving?

Yes. It's pretty slick.

newbie1kenobie 10-30-2017 06:36 PM

got a few things done after work, replaced the 12v battery, was at 12.3, now the ssn comes on at 20mph and runs on battery before quitting altogether. dash says about 12mpg, there was no mpg before. engine cooling system needed 3/4 gallon, checked most of the fuses. is there a reset or something needed after the battery change? a code came up at advance saying the pcm circuit is open but all the fuses are good, i'll check relays and replace pcv and thermostat tomorrow

also checked the mecs, it was still going after the ssn, the seller mentioned it was replaced during recall a couple years ago, but i will replace it

S Keith 10-30-2017 06:38 PM

Disconnecting the 12V resets all codes that can be reset. Some codes are persistent and need X # of drive cycles with the error gone before they reset.

Forscan.

newbie1kenobie 11-01-2017 08:07 PM

while waiting for a mvci cable to cross the pacific ocean and the continent, i read some more posts and got more codes: p0685 p1a0c p1a10

replaced the relays but still the same problems, confirmed they are getting voltage

looks like i may need to get the brains reflashed? can i take them out and deliver them to the dealer?

while it idled through its routine i removed the filter, checked the battery vent door for movement, nothing, no air or sound of fans, normal? it was 80f and the engine was warmed from a limp round the block

next step could be checking the harness? voltage at the pack?

D-mac 11-02-2017 09:24 AM

You might want to try finding a trained tech that knows Ford hybrids to find out if the HV battery/fan assemblies, transmission, catalytic converters, cooling system, PCM, HCU, and other related electronics are all good and the engine is running with the correct tune. Never heard of a 'reflash' fixing a FEH.
Otherwise you'll likely be throwing a lot of parts at this Escape, just hoping you can find a fix. IMO, money up front for a good diagnosis should also help you better determine if you should stop now. Good luck!

newbie1kenobie 11-02-2017 10:51 AM

dmac, the same symptoms and codes as other ssn victims has me clued into the diagnosis, chronic money problems are blocking the quick cure, thats why i ask for help

confirming the diagnosis, troubleshooting, flow-charting, etc can be done while my diagnostic cable travels the world

i need to re-find a thread on cleaning the connections to one of the brains (still learning to speak hybrid), and how to check voltage at the big battery without roasting myself, also would like to know if there is a way to confirm the coolant is circulating in the radiator, the bottle did require topping off after a third of a gallon was added, system was 3/4 gallon low

also cheap gas has hybrids being traded for hummers, i hope to trade this one in for a new one before gas prices go back up, the dealerships are sitting on a lot of hybrids no one will even test drive

S Keith 11-02-2017 12:48 PM

On battery voltage, best to wait for MiniVCI/Forscan.