Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Reviews or recommendations on replacement HV batteries? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/reviews-recommendations-replacement-hv-batteries-31648/)

tommyball 08-07-2018 11:38 AM

Reviews or recommendations on replacement HV batteries?

Does anyone have any reviews or recommendations on the replacement HV batteries offered by places such as GreenTec or Best Hybrid Batteries?

I have frequent low SOC events with my 2008 FEH and feel like I need to do something soon. I'm still considering tracking down a battery from a salvage yard. Waiting for a charger/discharger kit from Hybrid Automotive is an option as well, but at this point I'm starting to research replacement battery services, so thought I'd look for feedback on those services here.

Thanks!

08hybridok 08-07-2018 05:19 PM

Re: Reviews or recommendations on replacement HV batteries?

I couldn't find any sources last year when I was having low SOC (20's!)

I think Rockauto had a dorman brand; but it was $4kish

I went with an LKQ used one, $435

econoline 08-16-2018 07:43 PM

I'm also exploring battery refurb options now, after that last 5% SoC overnight discharge event.

I've contacted all four local shops. One wants $4k with a 3 year warranty, and two others won't do Ford batteries. I went to the fourth shop today but I think it's a scam operation. They are operating out of a local electronics shop and they are claiming they can analyze the HV battery condition and even balance the cells just by connecting their "computer" to the the OBDII port. I'm not aware of any monitoring of individual cells within the battery, and I think the only output from the battery is the 330v HV connector, so I don't believe their claim.

My FEH is in really mint condition, AWD, 91k miles. I would put up to $1k into battery work if it would go another few years, but I'm not seeing a way to do that. I don't want to take a chance on a used battery as it would likely be in the same condition as mine is. Any ideas?

tommyball 08-17-2018 09:55 AM

I am actually scheduled to get a remanufactured battery installed later today by GreenTecAuto. (~$2400 installed)

I looked around for used batteries, but most had near the same mileage as I have already, so I didn't want to take a chance with it. New batteries are about $4K. Best Hybrid Batteries has prices comparable to GreenTec, but they never got back to me. There are a couple shops here in Austin that specialize in hybrids, but any battery reconditioning or rebalancing services are only for Toyotas. With the number of low SOC events I've had, I felt like I had to do something soon, so GreenTec seemed like the best option.

After I get to drive around for a few days with the new battery, I'll post a report here.

econoline 08-17-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tommyball (Post 266189)
I am actually scheduled to get a remanufactured battery installed later today by GreenTecAuto. (~$2400 installed)

Thanks for the tip on GreenTec, I just got a quote from them for mobile install. Looks like $2600, $3600, or $4700 depending on which battery and warranty I choose. Edmunds shows my FEH with a trade-in value of about $2000. Not sure I want to put $2600 into it for only a 12 month battery warranty. Hard to decide. It's almost in like new condition other than this pending battery issue.

tommyball 08-17-2018 12:06 PM

I understand. I debated for a while whether to replace the battery or buy a new car.
One other possible option is the kit being developed by Hybrid Automotive. I'm guessing you probably saw some of the comments on this thread starting with #75: (https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post266122).

econoline 08-22-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by tommyball (Post 266189)
After I get to drive around for a few days with the new battery, I'll post a report here.

Hey, did you get the battery installed? Anything to report yet?

I'm still considering it, $2500 for the reman with 12 mo warranty, if I drive 100 miles to their facility. If they come to me it's $275 extra for the mobile install.

tommyball 08-23-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 266229)
Hey, did you get the battery installed? Anything to report yet?

Yes! I did! It's great — I'll post a review now in a new thread so it's easier to find for people.