RPM noise on 2007 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default RPM noise on 2007 FEH

My 07 FEH has 82K miles and hasn't had any issues. Its still performing as always but now makes a noticeable sound that seems to correspond to wheel rpms. It can be heard with and without the ICE running but if for example I am cruising at a constant 45 MPH but just slightly alter the pressure on the accelerator it can make the sound change in intensity.

If on a steady downhill below 40 mph with the ICE off the sound can be heard and is altered by just slightly applying or releasing pressure on the brake pedal.

Hard to describe the sound other than its not an irritating screech but more like something isn't quite lubricated enough or something is slightly contacting something else that wasn't happening before.

Any thoughts? I'm taking it in soon for service anyway but was wondering if anyone here has an idea.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: RPM noise on 2007 FEH

Originally Posted by badpelican
My 07 FEH has 82K miles and hasn't had any issues. Its still performing as always but now makes a noticeable sound that seems to correspond to wheel rpms. It can be heard with and without the ICE running but if for example I am cruising at a constant 45 MPH but just slightly alter the pressure on the accelerator it can make the sound change in intensity.

If on a steady downhill below 40 mph with the ICE off the sound can be heard and is altered by just slightly applying or releasing pressure on the brake pedal.

Hard to describe the sound other than its not an irritating screech but more like something isn't quite lubricated enough or something is slightly contacting something else that wasn't happening before.

Any thoughts? I'm taking it in soon for service anyway but was wondering if anyone here has an idea.
Sounds a bit like my recent problem, although I noticed it more when turning. They replaced the front strut bushings and everything is quiet now.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Power Take Off Unit

Took the FEH in to the dealer finally, turns out the noise was caused by a failing power take off unit. $900 part plus labor ends up as a mere $1600 fix - ouch!