Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Ruh Roh, "Service Brake System" "Service 4x4" ABS Light On (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/ruh-roh-service-brake-system-service-4x4-abs-light-22103/)

EOppie 07-08-2009 05:19 AM

Ruh Roh, "Service Brake System" "Service 4x4" ABS Light On **UPDATE**

Alright, so I pull out of my driveway this morning and about a mile down the road the "Service Brake System" "Service 4x4" and ABS light all come on.

I checked the brakes, and while they work fine, I notice there is no regen associated with them. I did shift to L, and it does indicate recharge when slowing there.

I read another thread where it said someone had to have their ABS module replaced to fix this...however there was no real indication of what went wrong.

I am hoping this isn't the case, I did try a power cycle once I got to the train station, and that didn't clear anything but the "Service 4x4" message, however I also wasn't moving.

Needless to say, I have about 104k on it, so I am way out of any warranty status...

I am going to check brake fluid when I get back, however since I just checked it over the weekend, I assume there is no issue there.

Anyone else have any ideas...or know how much $$$ I am getting into here?

EOppie 07-08-2009 07:48 AM

Re: Ruh Roh, "Service Brake System" "Service 4x4" ABS Light On

I did some more digging and found this TSB:

TSB Number:0687 NHTSA Number:10020079 TSB Date:January 1, 2006 Date Added to File:July 19, 2006
Failing Component:
Service Brakes, Hydraulic:Antilock:Abs Warning Light
Summary:
Abs light on and DTC C1475 - hybrid vehicles built from 8/2/2004 - 3/30/2006.

EOppie 07-08-2009 07:53 AM

And this TSB which seems to match more...anyone have access to additional information on what these mean?

20 TSB Number:0585 NHTSA Number:10017553 TSB Date:January 1, 2005 Date Added to File:November 10, 2005
Failing Component:
Service Brakes, Hydraulic:Antilock:Abs Warning Light
Summary:
Abs and brake warning lamp on with diagnostic trouble code C1526 - DTC C1524 may also be present - vehicles built prior to 2/11/2005.

EOppie 07-09-2009 08:51 AM

So I took it into the stealership and they claimed I had one broken tone ring on the drivers side, and the passenger side was "on its way out".

I somewhat question the passenger side being "on its way out" as these are not a consumable item from what I understand, and they are either working, or they are broken. The service manager claimed that they are constantly heating up and cooling down and that causes wear...I don't know what to believe.

All in all $392.00 in labor, $93.28 in parts, and $29.12 to the great state of Connecticut later I swipe the card for $514.40 to make the lights go away.

Good lord

On one note, I did read that many people do have the tone ring issues over at Escape Central with one or the other being broken, however I didn't find anyone with two broken/worn at once.

I think I was taken for a ride...

DaytonaKen 11-12-2011 05:56 PM

Just changed rotors and brakes (11/12/11), drove it 1/4 and the traction control indicator came on during my second stop. Then the 4x4 engage indicator came up, then the 4x4 disengage light came on, then the "Service Brake System" "Service 4x4" alternate in the message, and the ABS Light stays On, and the regen wont work while braking; only during decceleration.

Thinking something just needs to be cleared because I just serviced the brakes, so they don't need a service.

Don't want to take it in. I got ripped off last year. Got charged to replace the outter tie rod, and they tightened it, and didn't repalce it. Did notice it until I changed the front rotor and the boot was broken on the original part.

Billyk 11-14-2011 03:36 AM

I had two broken tone rings at 49,000+ miles--. Replaced and all is good with no symptoms.

David Midge McKenzie 03-02-2013 01:25 PM

So after finding out that the ABS light, the 4X4, and "check Break sytem" message on my 2006 Escape limited. I found another site that mentioned the tone ring. So I went under my car, and what do you know. TONE RING was cracked. I saw that it was Basically at the end of the AXL. Which scared me. But i googled how to replace the ring. And there is a you tube video that is 9 minutes long. Seriously, after you take the tire off. 2 bolts. And you replace the ring. Put it all back together. BOOM. All lights and messages are off. The part was 14.95. I had to buy a 1 1/4 socket for the axl. And bam. Took me 1 hour 40 minutes of total time. Including running to the local hardware store. I called the local garage. 200 buck. plus the stupid diagnostic check. (even though I told them what was wrong with it.)
Watching the video and doing it. EASY for an average person. like I said. 4 lugs, 2 bolts.. a hammer (To get the new ring on) and it's fixed. Here is the link to the video.
Good luck!

econoline 03-02-2013 02:15 PM

^^ Thanks. Good to know. I'll bookmark this for future problems.

Billyk24 03-02-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by econoline (Post 247288)
^^ thanks. Good to know. I'll bookmark this for future problems.

+2

travelover 03-04-2013 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by David Midge McKenzie (Post 247287)
Watching the video and doing it. EASY for an average person. like I said. 4 lugs, 2 bolts.. a hammer (To get the new ring on) and it's fixed. Here is the link to the video.

Good luck!

Slick! Thanks for posting. When I did it I took off the lower ball joint, but I like this approach better.

A couple tips. When breaking loose a big nut, position the ratchet so you are pushing down instead of pulling up. Saves your back. Second, you can borrow the tool to push out the axle from AutoZone for free and not run the risk of messing up the end of the axle by pounding on it.