Saturn Vue Green Line

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Saturn Vue Green Line

No, this isn't in the wrong forum. Last weekend, several of us Michiganders got together and went to the North American International Auto Show together, and got to experience the new hybrids firsthand. (Which, BTW, was a big deal at the show this year.)

Anyway, to the point. Sitting behind the wheel in the Saturn Vue Hybrid, I was struck by something inescapeable, the instrument panel. From left to right: Gas tank, Speedometer, Tachometer, Charge/Assist gauge. Gee sound familiar? Perhaps they couldn't mess with success! As John pointed out, there is some wonder if eventually people will start claiming that GM is using Ford technology, just as people once claimed that Ford is using Toyota technology? At least in this case, they may be right!

Old 01-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Saturn Vue Green Line

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
the instrument panel. From left to right: Gas tank, Speedometer, Tachometer, Charge/Assist gauge.
Guess Ford doesn't have to worry about Saturn stealing Escape Hybrid drivers - that dash configuration would forever seem wrong. Everyone knows the tach has to be to the left of the speedo....

Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Actually, IMHO, it seems like it's designed all wrong. Additionally, as I should've added, the gauges are all the same size (Charge/Assist and gas are small, tach and speed are big), and on the same angle and look the same in most respects. Though they aren't white background and are instead the usual black.

There is no MPG display at all, so you can't tell how you're doing or what you're averaging or what your tank is, instead there's an econ light, that lights up when you're meeting or beating the EPA numbers. (As proudly proclaimed in their demonstration)

The doors are buttonless. All the controls, for door locks, windows, etc. are on the console in the middle.

Instead of having "reds", there's a switch, in econo mode, the AC/Defroster, etc. turn off when it's ICE off, and in comfort mode, they stay on.

But it is a hybrid...

Old 01-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There is no MPG display at all, so you can't tell how you're doing or what you're averaging or what your tank is, instead there's an econ light, that lights up when you're meeting or beating the EPA numbers. (As proudly proclaimed in their demonstration)
Why does that sound like a GM tactic? Instead of putting in the time and energy to do what everyone else is doing and providing a proper MPG display you only get an idiot light for MPG. Very GM and why I will never buy anything from them.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
Instead of putting in the time and energy to do what everyone else is doing and providing a proper MPG display you only get an idiot light for MPG. Very GM and why I will never buy anything from them.
My theory is that the Saturn may not be as fuel efficient as they had hoped and GM doesn't want the low numbers in the face of the driver/owner. They are probably counting on people not bothering to track mileage with paper and pen.

That idiot light sounds, well, idiotic. Unless the computer has some software to average mileage over a certain time then it would seem like the light would be flashing on and off every time you accelerate, go up a hill, etc. Would get annoying quickly.

Every car made now should have a gas mileage display.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by nitramjr
My theory is that the Saturn may not be as fuel efficient as they had hoped and GM doesn't want the low numbers in the face of the driver/owner. They are probably counting on people not bothering to track mileage with paper and pen.
I disagree with that. I think it will get good mileage but people will find out that you will have to change the way you drive significantly and many will not want to do that. They'll complain that it's too hard to get high MPGs with their poor driving habits.

Meanwhile, my current tank is an average of 50+ MPG (so sayeth the trip computer), and this morning I was driving over the limit (as always) and passing people.

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Every car made now should have a gas mileage display.
I've said that more than once on this forum. I think that feature alone could help more for the cause of reducing the US fleet fuel consumption than expecting people to buy hybrids.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Greenline is a joke, just like the GM hybrid pickup is. The only differance between the hybrid and the non-hybird is basically a "super alternator" which can act like a traction motor for a short period of time. It is not very high tech and it is not something I would recomend to somebody to buy. I think GM could build an outstanding hybird using "off the shelf" EV1 parts, but they would rather do it on the cheap.

I have high hopes for thier dual mode hybrid (which has 2 drive motors, one low speed and one high speed) system. It may get very good highway milage as well as city mileage.

Chris Brown

Old 01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Green Missionary

. . . Sitting behind the wheel in the Saturn Vue Hybrid, I was struck by something inescapeable, the instrument panel. From left to right: Gas tank, Speedometer, Tachometer, Charge/Assist gauge. Gee sound familiar? Perhaps they couldn't mess with success! As John pointed out, there is some wonder if eventually people will start claiming that GM is using Ford technology, just as people once claimed that Ford is using Toyota technology? At least in this case, they may be right!
I think I have figured out the SVGL marketing strategy. They are trying to target dyslexic FEH enthusiasts.

Last edited by John M. Dwyer; 01-26-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
YA RLY.

The instant FE gauge in my HCH2 has been the single most important reason why my driving has improved so much. The Vue GreenLine doesn't have that. It has an "Eco Light". GM wants people to pay a couple thousand more over a regular Vue V6 and they couldn't include one lousy gauge. Oy.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by John M. Dwyer
I think I have figured out the SVGL marketing strategy. They are trying to target dyslexic FEH enthusiasts.

LOL

I've been asked more than once, by pretty much every family member I take for a drive if I like the hybrid technology or the A/N system more. It's a tough call, really.

I think most of us here advocate the MPG display in all new vehicles; I know I have no intention of ever buying a vehicle that can't do at least what my A/N system can do. (Though unless there's some magic breakthrough, I can only see myself owning hybrids as well....) Even those that don't want to take the hybrid dive can at least work towards being more fuel efficient, that instant feedback can do a lot to ones mindset.

Also, not to bash GM, but sitting in the Silverado "hybrid", there's nothing on the gauges to indicate any kind of "hybrid" technology. The Tachometer doesn't have an off icon, there's nothing about it that shows it's anything other than a conventional truck.