Scan gauge question??

Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Scan gauge question??

I have been enjoying the heck out of an 05 4WD FEH that I bought used a while back(I am the Internet Sales Manager at a local car dealer & I took the FEH in trade).

I am not a fanatic for gas mileage(I keep up with traffic & refuse to annoy the drivers behind me), but I have been using low gear to advantage & also pulse & glide techniques. I am getting consistently over 30 mpg driving to work(22 miles each way, some stop & go-some 60 mph x-way)which at least to me is outstanding for a 4WD SUV.

I already owned a ScanGauge before I bought the FEH, so I Velcro it to the dash & use it constantly. I do not have the NAV option(I use a Garmin 2620 GPS), so the ScanGauge is handy.

I am curious what the SG is using to measure the FE readout. Does anyone know for sure?? I am wondering if it is reading air flow through the mass airflow sensor or is it picking some other parameter to measure?? If it is measuring MAF airflow, would that not make it rather inaccurate when the ICE revs up on deceleration/battery overcharge conditions??

~John

Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Scan gauge question??

I have a scanguage also, but I haven't used it on the Prius yet-just the non hybrids. I'm pretty sure the scanguage just looks at fuel flow and speed to get an instant mpg or trip mpg. MILES/HR divided by gallons/hr is M/H x H/G=M/G or miles per gallon.All cars"know" their instant fuel flow,and they all know their speed.

I think only the most recent scanguages are set up for Hybrids.They had problems with the engine shut off,and thought the trip was over.I think you can return the scan guage to be updated for hybrids.Luck,Charlie

PS I just -Monday 5-8-06 3 pm Central time-tried the scan guage out on the Prius during a short trip. The speed and MPG on the scanguage are just about what the Prius screen says they are. The most interesting thing was the RPMS. At 32mpg -on ICE only- the gauge said it was doing ~1250-1300 RPMS. This is interesting because our 2001 Prizm(rebadged Corolla) would show about 1450 rpms in top gear(auto) at 32mph. The vehicles are about the same size, but the Prizm is about 150 lbs lighter, and a couple of inches less in height. It also has a BIGGER(1.8L),MORE POWERFUL motor-125 hp . I'm surprised the Prius can run such low RPMS. I will check the RPMS at 60 mph,70 mph,75 mph, some time soon. My guess is 2500 rpms at 60 mph-this is about what our auto trans 1995 Accord would turn-it was 2.2 L I think.Low RPMS is also a good sign; less fuel wasted as friction.The low CD certainly helps drop the load so it can run low rpms.Thanks,Charlie

Last edited by phoebeisis; 05-08-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by phoebeisis

I think only the most recent scanguages are set up for Hybrids.They had problems with the engine shut off,and thought the trip wa over.I think you can return the scan guage to be updated for hybrids.Luck,Charlie
Mine is a fairly recent one, it does have a hybrid specific setting & does not shut off at lights.

~John

Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 AM

John, thought you would enjoy the FWD FEH back when you were asking about it. If you got your scangauge after December of '05, it is most likely programed for the FEH (hybrid).

The issue you bring up has been addressed on the FEH. It was brought up by me that the rev showed MPG. It was concluded that the scangauge did use MAF, but the injectors were shut off and no fuel was being burned. This will cause the scanguage to be slightly off, but not by much on an overall tank or trip. My Nav 15min average is slightly higher then the scangauge tank average, but only a few tenths over 700 miles.

GaryG

Old 05-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to get a ScanGuage that is less...what's the word...ugly?

Also was wondering what the price of the ScanGuage is. Right now their website is not selling them so they don't list a price, it says to check back later in May.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by jse75
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to get a ScanGuage that is less...what's the word...ugly?
LOL, it's isn't the most stylish thing ever made -I'll grant you that........

Mine was just over $100 if I remember correctly.

~John

Old 05-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Viet Vet had said they were out of stock a week or so, but the price was $129 including shipping back in December. Ron at scangauge may have taken our comments about how it looks. Hopefully they are addressing this issue, but the cost maybe going up if they removed the price from the web page. I'd buy a new one if they improve the looks and put the old one in my Explorer.

GaryG

Old 05-08-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
I'd buy a new one if they improve the looks
GaryG
I would too, I would use the new one in my FEH & keep the ugly one for a diagnostic tool.

I know a ScanGauge would be a darn handy thing to have when one of our used cars throws a code for something stupid like a loose gas cap.....

~John

Old 05-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Just posted a comparison of the scangauge and the FEH gauges on http://www.cleanmpg.com/ Interesting results on my tank of 579 miles.

GaryG

Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I would too, I would use the new one in my FEH & keep the ugly one for a diagnostic tool.

I know a ScanGauge would be a darn handy thing to have when one of our used cars throws a code for something stupid like a loose gas cap.....

~John
Just checked out the ScanGuage Site and I guess they have been listening - NEW LOOK!!!!!!!!!! It is now ScanGuargeII @ $169.95.

The looks was the major factor in my not getting one - well they took care of that - got to get my order in

Last edited by VietVet'67; 05-16-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scan gauge question??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands