ScanGauge Data Depository

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Red face Re: ScanGauge Data Depository

Originally Posted by wptski
A starter motor draws well over 200A, so even at 200A, 12V, it's 2400W.
Wow, thanks... I was WAY off.

ScanGauge: 1w constant for 1 week = 168 watt-hours of power used

Starter motor: 2400w for 3 seconds = 2 watt-hours of power used per start

The SG is useing closer to 100 times as much power in a week as starting a car once.

Last edited by gpsman1; 05-08-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: ScanGauge Data Depository

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Wow, thanks... I was WAY off.

ScanGauge: 1w constant for 1 week = 168 watt-hours of power used

Starter motor: 2400w for 3 seconds = 2 watt-hours of power used per start

The SG is useing closer to 100 times as much power in a week as starting a car once.
Funny that Linear Logic doesn't list anywhere how much power the SG uses! You should ask LL about it or if you have the test equipment, measure it yourself right at the battery or datalink fuse. I have the equipment but no SG to test! Maybe your SG is drawing too much power because it's defective? It maybe something worth looking into.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

I'm going to start recommending to people that they disconnect the SG when the car will sit for a week or longer. My SG slowly depletes the 12v battery when just sitting there. The backlight comes on and stays on for some reason. Usually there is an "event" such as opening the car door or hood that "wakes up" the SG then it never goes back to sleep. However, there have been a couple of "ghost in the machine" moments, when I have come back to find the SG lit for no reason. After two separate, 2 week idle times, (separated by months) I came home to find my 12v battery at 11.3 volts. Do lead batteries self discharge? Yes, but not that quickly.

Assume the SG takes 1 watt with the backlight on.
Over a week, that's eqivalent to starting the engine MANY times, ( with a traditional 12v starter ) without giving the car the opportunity to recharge.

I'm estimating the 1 watt part. It could be twice as much, or half.
But still is not good for the 12v battery over a 2 week period of this.

Finally, I just learned that the volts meter on the SG does not use the CAN bus or a PID. It is simply reading the wires that power the ScanGauge. You can read 12v battery voltage at any time, even with the key removed from the car. Makes sense when you think about it.
While sitting with the key off, every-so-often (perhaps as much as every 15 minutes) the 12v battery will pump some juice in to the HV battery. I believe that at this time, a vent door also opens up briefly and a fan turns on to remove any gases that built up in the HV battery compartment. At least that is what I'm assuming it does from the sounds its making.

Perhaps SG keys on battery voltage changes in order to turn on and off. My FM IPod dock works the same way. If so, perhaps the delta V from the above process is the ghost in the machine? Battery voltage drops when the air exchange/maintenance charge process runs, process finishes, voltage increases, SG sees the voltage increase and turns the backlight on.

At any rate, I remember the manual stating something that if the vehicle sits for 30 days, expect the 12v battery to be near completely dead. This is why they put a button behind a driver’s side kick panel (on the outside wall) so you can jump start yourself using the HV battery. Press the button, wait 10 minutes while the HV battery charges the 12v battery, then you're good to go (according to the manual. I've never tried it... funny what information you find when all you are looking for is the proper torque settings of your lug nuts ).

I agree that the draining of the battery is not good, but I don't believe it to be the direct result of the SG. But it does make sence why Ford did this. Tax your $120, 12 volt battery more in order to make your $7,000 HV battery last longer.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I "frequently" put my 12V battery on a trickle charger overnight to minimize any effects hardware can have on draining this battery.
Name:  Battery_Tender_Jr.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  10.4 KB
You can purchase a longer cord that can "poke" thru the grille so one can just plug in this device without opening the hood each time.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by crabby_bob

At any rate, I remember the manual stating something that if the vehicle sits for 30 days, expect the 12v battery to be near completely dead. This is why they put a button behind a driver’s side kick panel (on the outside wall) so you can jump start yourself using the HV battery. Press the button, wait 10 minutes while the HV battery charges the 12v battery, then you're good to go (according to the manual. I've never tried it... funny what information you find when all you are looking for is the proper torque settings of your lug nuts ).
NO! You have it backwards. After 30 ( or more ) days you can use the 12v battery to gently warm-up and ( perhaps ) charge the HV battery.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

NO! You have it backwards. After 30 ( or more ) days you can use the 12v battery to gently warm-up and ( perhaps ) charge the HV battery.
Thanks for the correction. Understanding that it is the HV battery that starts the vehicle and not the 12v battery, that makes more sense.

I keep forgetting that there isn't a separate starter motor.

I have two SG in my mmh and over the christmas holiday last year we took a vacation and it sat outside in 0 degree temperatures for roughly 10 days. I'm not sure if my SG screens turned on but unlocking the doors (key fob) caused them to turn on.

Sounds like your battery may be at the end of it's life. The battery tender is a great suggestion, but would only be a band-aid.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

I'm interested in seeing how you have mounted your scangauge. If you could post photos and provide a few details, that would be great! Also, do you power the scangauge with batteries or direct from the car's electrical system?

-Dave

Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by fehy06
I'm interested in seeing how you have mounted your scangauge. If you could post photos and provide a few details, that would be great! Also, do you power the scangauge with batteries or direct from the car's electrical system?

-Dave
You have to plug it into the OBD-II port in your vehicle, so that's what power it.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by fehy06

-Dave
on ebay with mileagepros

Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Well, since I didn't want to go read my SG II, I found the forum and these are the values I use:

txd: 076122D128
rxf: 046285D19628
rxd: 3008
mth: 006400330000
Nam: AWD (or whatever you want to call the xguage)

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ge-code-20996/
I couldn't find the xcode for 4WD in this thread, so I'm adding it. I believe it reads out as a percentage of torque being delivered to the rear wheels, but correct me if that's wrong. Thanks Steve.

Quick Reply: ScanGauge Data Depository

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands