Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Sell or Keep: 2007 FEH w/ 130k (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/sell-keep-2007-feh-w-130k-31787/)

RiderKidMom 12-19-2018 07:22 AM

Sell or Keep: 2007 FEH w/ 130k

(I tried searching for some updated info and didn't find a match to my criteria. Apologies if this is a repeat. I'm a newbie to this group.)

We own a 2007 FEH (built Oct. '06) with approximately 130/135k miles on the engine. It's never had any major repairs, got new shocks/struts a few years ago, brakes and tires about 2 years ago. About 3 years ago we had the massive electrical disconnect that had the recall where the engine would shut off at 70mph and we'd get the Stop Now alert. That was fun. That was before the recall, naturally, so we wound up dumping $900 at the dealer about 9 months before the recall so Ford refused our claim. Anyhoo... No issues with AC or transmission, thus far, but we are in SE Texas so the heat definitely strains the vehicle in the 6 mos of summer. For the past 2 years, our son has been driving it. He's now 19 but drives like an old man, rarely going above the speed limit and has never had a fender bender. I sure hope I didn't just jinx him. We're in the process of forcing him to start adulting and making a decision about a vehicle. We're willing to sign over the title and contribute up to ~$2500-$5000 for half of his purchase of another vehicle. The FEH is in Fair condition - the paint is shot in some places, the moonroof leaks running down the seat belt mechanism on both sides in the front (smells great!), and the center console screen has a monster size blackout circle that really makes the thing not particularly useful so it's not really resellable except for parts or minimal trade-in. We're not willing to outright buy a car *for* him.

So, my question is whether we should try to limp out another year or two on it or encourage him to sell it and trade it in on something newer. I'd probably prefer to go through a dealer because of the liability but do have an awesome independent ASE shop that can assess the mechanical viability on any purchase. They won't touch any hybrid battery repairs. Personally, I'm inclined to trade it in for a recently-used Toyota or Honda because he's got low income and low possibility of being able to afford repairs. We have no public transportation in the outskirts of Houston.

Suggestions or thoughts? The car is now 12 years old.

dnt1010 12-19-2018 07:22 PM

Re: Sell or Keep: 2007 FEH w/ 130k

As stated the value of this vehicle is basically nill. First thing i would do is silicone caulk the sunroof to seal it 100% then IMHO this is the "perfect" car for a 19 year old. Just carry liability ins and drive it till the wheels fall off Just do good maintenance and any small repairs needed along the way. Now when the big issue hits and it costs more than he can bear to fix it just buy another older used vehicle rinse and repeat until he graduates Law or Medical school or whatever and starts making the big bucks then he can buy whatever he wants. Probably a Lambo or something (tell him NOT to buy a yellow Lambo yellow sucs)
https://autoblog-img.vast.com/145392...2326/1/t/320x-

Kellsdad 02-25-2019 06:21 AM

Re: Sell or Keep: 2007 FEH w/ 130k

I live in Southeast Texas also in Galveston my stepson totaled our 2007 Mariner hybrid about 10 days after I took collision off it he misses the car desperately he also drives like an old lady I'd be interested in purchasing it if you want to get ahold of me. Just bought in 06 Escape Hybrid for me with a hundred forty thousand I expect togo at least 250k