Sensitivity of engine cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Sensitivity of engine cutoff

I drive an Altima Hybrid and am considering buying a FEHL. I read this interesting note in a (positive) review of the FEH:

"One aspect of the hybrid performance of the Escape that differs from other hybrids, is the seeming reluctance of the engine to shutoff during coasting and deceleration. On the Nissan Altima Hybrid, lifting off the accelerator would almost inevitably result in the engine shutting down instantly. On the Escape the engine speed drops to about 1,000 rpm and doesn't shut-off until vehicle deceleration exceeds about .3g (a moderately heavy brake apply) or the vehicle came to an almost complete stop.

Thomas Gee, Ford's Manager of Controls and Strategy Implementation for Hybrids explained that there were two reasons for this. The first was a comfort issue for drivers to avoid the busyness of having the engine starting and stopping every time the driver gets on and off the throttle. Ford also found that it was actually more efficient to motor the engine at low rpm with the throttle closed."

The reviewer was driving an '08 as opposed to an '09, not sure if that affects anything. But I do enjoy my Altima's ability to flip over to electric mode on a dime. Can any owners here confirm/deny the reviewer's experience?

Thanks,
Brad

Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Default Re: Sensitivity of engine cutoff

Originally Posted by bfranci
I drive an Altima Hybrid and am considering buying a FEHL. I read this interesting note in a (positive) review of the FEH:

"One aspect of the hybrid performance of the Escape that differs from other hybrids, is the seeming reluctance of the engine to shutoff during coasting and deceleration. On the Nissan Altima Hybrid, lifting off the accelerator would almost inevitably result in the engine shutting down instantly. On the Escape the engine speed drops to about 1,000 rpm and doesn't shut-off until vehicle deceleration exceeds about .3g (a moderately heavy brake apply) or the vehicle came to an almost complete stop.

Thomas Gee, Ford's Manager of Controls and Strategy Implementation for Hybrids explained that there were two reasons for this. The first was a comfort issue for drivers to avoid the busyness of having the engine starting and stopping every time the driver gets on and off the throttle. Ford also found that it was actually more efficient to motor the engine at low rpm with the throttle closed."

The reviewer was driving an '08 as opposed to an '09, not sure if that affects anything. But I do enjoy my Altima's ability to flip over to electric mode on a dime. Can any owners here confirm/deny the reviewer's experience?

Thanks,
Brad
The '09 FEH/MMH was completely changed from the '08 and earlier models. The '09 most likely has a quicker engine shutdown when you let off the gas pedal than the Altima Hybrid and any other Hybrid available. My '09 FEHL will shutdown in cruise control and during light acceleration under 1,500 RPM's. It goes EV under 41mph so much it's hard to keep the HV battery above 42% SoC. I can set the cruise control at 40mph and will drop into EV as soon as it gets to 42% SoC and continue in EV till the SoC drops to 40% and needs a recharge.

On top of this I have a lifetime MPG average on my '09 FEHL of 44.379mpg. The dealer didn't give me a completely full tank when I picked it up with 4 miles on it and this caused a low first tank at a little over 38mpg. The Nav System reads ~4% high on the tank MPG, but it reads 49.9mpg right now with ~450 miles. I estimate a 48mpg 6th tank and I can't wait till the '09 FEHL gets broke-in.

GaryG

Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sensitivity of engine cutoff

Originally Posted by bfranci
Ford also found that it was actually more efficient to motor the engine at low rpm with the throttle closed.
I'm always sort of surprised at how little some people are willing to trust the judgment of the people who did the engineering on the car.

On my drive to work, there is a blvd that goes slightly downhill at about 40 MPH. It used to annoy me that in this stretch the engine didn't shut off, even when I was on the brake and charging the battery.

Eventually I quit worrying about it. During that stretch my MPG is so high already even the SG doesn't measure it. What do I want the ICE to shut off for? Another fraction-of-a-percent improvement that probably isn't even an improvement because the engine cools off and has to run later while at a stoplight?

Calm down, people. Drive conservatively, enjoy the MPG that is double what the guy in the next lane is getting, and in 5 years buy another car that makes this one look like a gas guzzler.