Service Power Steering module gone bad

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Runs with Scissors
Default Service Power Steering module gone bad

I own a 2007 Escape Hybrid with just over 17,000 miles on it. Yesterday after coming out of a store I started it and a service power steering light came on. It drove like a tank, but I took it to my local garage that does my oil changes. They could not get an error message when running diagnostics. I dropped it off at my dealer and found that the module for power steering was bad. They are replacing it and it is all covered under warranty so I am thankful.

Other than this issue I love this vehicle.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Power Steering module gone bad

Also a common problem with Toyota and Lexus hybrids that have electric assist power stearing. The "book" indicates that these are subject to overheating if too much stearing assist is required over a relatively short time period. If the power assist seems to be reaching the overheat level then it will begin to operate at a reduced power level and if that doesn't work it will be disabled altogether. I would imagine that this might be a more common occurrence in HOT climates.

**** poor design approach IMMHO.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Willard-

There was no mention of anything overheating.
Some electronics were probably defective.
Could be for any number of reasons, including a manufacturing defect.
The original poster said nothing about anything getting hot.

To beakgeek;

In the future, pull over, turn the key off, wait a minute, then restart the car.
Sometimes just resetting the power can solve minor issues.
Remember, this vehicle is as much computer, as it is machine.

HTH,
-John

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 PM

[quote=wwest;193751"the book"

what book?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Runs with Scissors

Heat was not the issue. It was -16F when this happened which made me think cold was the issue.

I'm a computer geek by trade so I did the obvious reboot technique. It did reset after shutting off the vehicle and restarting it, but the module would not communicate with the diagnostic equipment at my shop and the delearship which to me means a bigger issue.

I took it in to make sure everything was ok. I'd hate to lose power steering on icy roads at high speed.

I thought it was worth mentioning to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Regards,

Terry

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Willard-

There was no mention of anything overheating.
Some electronics were probably defective.
Could be for any number of reasons, including a manufacturing defect.
The original poster said nothing about anything getting hot.

To beakgeek;

In the future, pull over, turn the key off, wait a minute, then restart the car.
Sometimes just resetting the power can solve minor issues.
Remember, this vehicle is as much computer, as it is machine.

HTH,
-John

Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 AM

There is no requirement that manufacturers disclose to third parties any OBDII diagnostic procedures, etc, beyond those involved with emissions control.

If you want, need, access to the others your only choice is a manufacturer specific OBDII "reader"

Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Hi -
It was zero degrees in NH this morning. My wife took our Escape 2005 Hybrid to the drugstore - 3-4 miles away. Came out to care and power steering was dead and light was on. She drove it home that way. I saw a reference to cold earlier so wanted to add to the thread. Will call dealer tomorrow but I'm guessing they'll be clueless. Any ideas?
Patrick

Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by campton1
Hi -
It was zero degrees in NH this morning. My wife took our Escape 2005 Hybrid to the drugstore - 3-4 miles away. Came out to care and power steering was dead and light was on. She drove it home that way. I saw a reference to cold earlier so wanted to add to the thread. Will call dealer tomorrow but I'm guessing they'll be clueless. Any ideas?
Patrick
Driving without the electric power assist can sometimes result in the use of so much force on the stearing wheel that the torque tube, or anything used to sense the twisting motion, might take a "set", be twisted, permanently.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Same problem with our 2006 Escape Hybrid AWD. It was -5 here in Maine yesterday. Drove the car into town with no problem. Stopped for breakfast. Got back in the car, started it, and the power steering was out, "service power steering" message appeared, and service light came on. It's at the dealership now awaiting diagnosis. Perhaps something about extreme cold is unkind to the electric power steering?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Will be very interesting to see what your dealer says. Took mine in last week and they said they could do nothing for me besides call Ford. They did and Ford said they'd never heard of the problem before. 22 below here in NH today and the thing is running fine. The dealer here said if it happens again, start the car with the A/C on so the car does not shut off and wait for a while for engine to warm up. Then shut car off and then restart and see if that fixes it. Will try this next time it happens. They also said the computer does not store any codes for the steering. My next step is try to get in touch with a childhood friend who works for Ford and see if he can probe within the depths of their engineering department. Will try this after I hear more about your dealer experience!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Power Steering module gone bad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands