service recommendations -- Minneapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default service recommendations -- Minneapolis?

I've noticed that there a number of folks on this board who live in Minnesota. I'm a South Minneapolis FEH owner, and I'm wondering whether any of you has found a dealer or other shop that provides really good service for Escape Hybrids. I've been going to the dealer where I bought the car for service. They seem marginally competent but not overwhelmingly so -- making me wonder whether there are better options out there. (Example: I've been running into the "random wrench light" problem that others have posted about. Took it to the dealer, who ran diagnostics -- found nothing and didn't offer up any ideas, except to make sure the gas cap is on tight. The light is still showing up at odd times.) I'm getting ready to schedule the 20K checkup and would like to take the FEH to someone who really knows what s/he's doing, if at all possible -- would definitely be willing to switch if there's a more hybrid-savvy dealership or garage out there, but don't know whether such a place exists. Any Twin Cities service recommendations from you Minnesota types?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: service recommendations -- Minneapolis?

One thing you can try is using a "code-reader" when you wrench-light appears. Some autoparts stores such as Autozone will plug in these code-readers for you in an attempt to read what "code/codes" are causing the wrench-light to appear. This might be worth a "try" especially when it is likely free--but visit when they are not too busy- and can serve as a means to trouble shoot your problem.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElizVera
I've noticed that there a number of folks on this board who live in Minnesota. I'm a South Minneapolis FEH owner, and I'm wondering whether any of you has found a dealer or other shop that provides really good service for Escape Hybrids. I've been going to the dealer where I bought the car for service. They seem marginally competent but not overwhelmingly so -- making me wonder whether there are better options out there. (Example: I've been running into the "random wrench light" problem that others have posted about. Took it to the dealer, who ran diagnostics -- found nothing and didn't offer up any ideas, except to make sure the gas cap is on tight. The light is still showing up at odd times.) I'm getting ready to schedule the 20K checkup and would like to take the FEH to someone who really knows what s/he's doing, if at all possible -- would definitely be willing to switch if there's a more hybrid-savvy dealership or garage out there, but don't know whether such a place exists. Any Twin Cities service recommendations from you Minnesota types?
I have a post in another thread about that.... it sounds like you have the same battery cooler door problem I had. If you do... The light will come on and then go off after a start or two... most lights will stay on until cleared, this one--because some genius in the design team THOUGHT it was just climate control and not "important" is programmed to be a climate control lamp and it clears itself (most of the time if your A/C doesn't activate once... so what. Problem is it IS important because it has to do with cooling your battery. There isn't even a record of it in the computer when it clears from what the dealer told me.

The next time you have the light on you are going to have to drive it straight to the DEALER and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TURN OFF THE KEY!!!!! If you do it will probably clear again. Don't let the dealer turn it off either. You have to go to the dealer...the standard code reader wouldn't read it... they had to use a different one (apparently more advanced I watched him plug it in)

In my case I'd had the light come on and clear for a month... The dealer said there were no codes when I got there (the light was always clearing itself before I got there). I drove it straight to the dealer with the light on and showed the service manager with the engine on... he got the standard reader.... it showed no codes.... He said... "hmmmmm clearly there is something... Plugged in a more advanced touchscreen looking thing.... and boom.... A/C battery cooling door actuator failure.

Its not your dealers fault in this case.... the darn thing SHOULD NOT be a climate control code... it should be drive train and it should not clear itself.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

After a couple of visits to fix recalls and do minor routine maintenance on my 2005 FEH, I am happy with Luther Family Ford in Fargo. I see they have another location at North Country Ford, 10401 Woodcrest Drive in Coon Rapids, MN. No guarantee they'll be as savvy there, too, however.