Service soon light came on (now gone) What it mean

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Service soon light came on (now gone) What it mean

My service soon light came on last night then went away this morning. I drove at least 20 minutes both times. Is this perhaps just a programmed reminder to have service done? I guess it will come on at preset intervals? Or do you think i should swing by advanced autoparts and have them run a quick scan ? any input would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO found out there was no CABIN filter on my mariner!! this is the one near windshield wipers (under cowling)

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Service soon light came on (now gone) What it mean

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. When the light turns on, take it in to your local Ford Service Center and make sure you leave your car running (key in the run position) and make sure you tell the service person you purposfully left it running so they could read the code (lots of times codes clear once you turn your car off).

When I had this issue, this is exactly what I did and it ended up being a blend door issue for the HV battery. I'm not sure Advance Autoparts' reader will be able to read this code (if it is a blend door issue) because it needs to be read by Ford's Advance DTSC reader. Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

yea thanks...it helped. I just wish i knew what the hell the code was. So theres no possibility of it being a maintenance reminder?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Not that I know of. I've never had one on my 2007 MMH. If it was a maintenance reminder I would think that it would stay on all the time. With the blend door issue, it shows up when the HV battery can't get enough cooling and gets too hot which is probably why you see it when you pull in to your driveway. My guess is that you drive in EV mode through your subdivision and the HV battery gets warm. I have a standard OBD II reader and it wouldn't read the code which was when I took it to the dealer.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The oil change reminder comes on every time you start the vehicle.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

it does? does the wrench light come on too? The oil didnt need to be changed either (said it had 70 % left) So anyhow...ive driven it about 6 times since it came on and still no wrench symbol....if in fact its the blend door is there a way to make the light go off? This is frustrating. I hate not knowing what could really be happening.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mijohnst
it does? does the wrench light come on too? The oil didnt need to be changed either (said it had 70 % left) So anyhow...ive driven it about 6 times since it came on and still no wrench symbol....if in fact its the blend door is there a way to make the light go off? This is frustrating. I hate not knowing what could really be happening.
If you have a ScanGauge or could borrow one, it can read the code for the blend door problem. That's how I determined what problem I had before going to the dealer for the repair.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Mine may just be an unusual case, but when the wrench comes on, I change the Battery Filter in the back and then it stops coming on. So you might want to at least check to see if it looks dirty. Mine has looked dirty both times and once I put the clean on in, the wrench stops coming on.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Another thing you could try is with the key off, hold down the Milage Reset button and then start the vehicle. Once running release the Milage Reset Button and you will be in the gauge test vehicle test menu. Press the milage reset button to cycle through the different tests and menus. If memory serves there is a "Pending DTC" screen or "Active DTC" screen that will show how many codes are being thrown. It may also give the DTC code itself (haven't ever been able to verify this) which you then can cross reference on the web.

I don't remember for sure where it is in the menu but the milage reset button will cycle you through. I would try it on mine and tell you exactly where but my car is currently in the shop (not for performing the above on it).

To get it out of this mode, turn the vehicle off and the key to the column lock position. The next time you start it, it will start up normally.

Long shot, but it might help in determining what is going on.