Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   "Service Soon" and the "wrench" (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/service-soon-wrench-27324/)

RiverRat37 10-31-2011 05:28 PM

"Service Soon" and the "wrench"

I assume that there's lots out here about the "service soon" message with the famed 'wrench' light .... but I can't find it. No amount of searching has worked for me.
I'm getting both indicators. I stopped in at a Ford Dealer and asked if they could check and see exactly what "service" I need. They couldn't find any codes (the service and wrench were both ON at the time). They said it's usually oil chgs .... and I pointed out that I had changed the oil very recently and reset the %age counter (it now reads 96%). So the Ford guys disappeared for a bit and then one came back and announced that it's: "the automatic throttle control." I asked, in some amazement, how he knew? He said that's what it always is. OK. I took a rain check and got outta there.
So how do I find out what "service" with a wrench I need?
Thanks for the feedback!

stevedebi 11-01-2011 03:37 PM

Re: "Service Soon" and the "wrench"

Originally Posted by RiverRat37 (Post 238991)
I assume that there's lots out here about the "service soon" message with the famed 'wrench' light .... but I can't find it. No amount of searching has worked for me.
I'm getting both indicators. I stopped in at a Ford Dealer and asked if they could check and see exactly what "service" I need. They couldn't find any codes (the service and wrench were both ON at the time). They said it's usually oil chgs .... and I pointed out that I had changed the oil very recently and reset the %age counter (it now reads 96%). So the Ford guys disappeared for a bit and then one came back and announced that it's: "the automatic throttle control." I asked, in some amazement, how he knew? He said that's what it always is. OK. I took a rain check and got outta there.
So how do I find out what "service" with a wrench I need?
Thanks for the feedback!

A competent Ford technician will connect up their machine and read the code. Some of them come out on the SG II if you want to invest in that tool.

RiverRat37 11-01-2011 05:53 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I HAVE gone to my local 'competent' Ford tech and have been impressed. But not 'positively' impressed! My dealer has 3 hybrid trained techs and each specializes in some portion of the system (one is good at electronics). Last spring my all-wheel-drive failed with dashboard messages that made no sense: 1. something about 4x4 overheating (this after a very cold night and coming on within seconds after starting, as the tires spun on snow/ice), then 2) changing to read "4x4 temporarily disabled", and subsequently a couple of minutes later I hear the beep and see "4x4 Restored". All the time before, after and forevermore, the 4x4 does not function -- only front wheel drive. Here's my point: The techs insisted on following the "overheat" thing. I had two long sessions at the dealer with no progress and chasing rainbows. I finally insisted they call Ford, which they finally did and we had to go thru the whole thing again! Bah. Finally they got a real person at Ford to help them and he immediately said: "If the 4WD is not engaging it's in the transfer case or the rear differential. Get it up on the hoist and see which it is" (if the drive shaft is turning, it's in the differential). 2 minutes later we knew -- it's in the transfer case. $885 should fix it. (emphasis on "should"). So, I'm not real thrilled with the techs. Had someone sharper been the tech s/he'd have thought of this test hours earlier and a lot of less $$$$ (since I have to pay for incompetence and on-the-job training).
So ..... now I have a "service soon" and wrench light and a different Ford dealer with hybrid techs says there are not any DTC codes in my system (he plugged in under the dash). But all the while the "service soon" msg is being displayed and the wrench light is on. Not a good sign ...... They clearly didn't know what to do next .... ????? So I'm fishing around for some help here. I tried the trip reset button trick this morning to display info in the dash and it works great!! But I haven't a clue how to read it?? I plan to check my shop manuals next (they're not readily avail at the moment). I could figure out "gauge" and "bulb", which is pretty neat (I've known for years now that I have one of the tach lights out).
Note it also displayed dct NONE (can I assume that this means: No codes?) This was followed by: E 0000 then 0000 then t 0000. I confess however, the Service Soon/Wrench are now gone; at least for the moment.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

guerinkeywest 11-05-2011 02:46 PM

I am getting this same indication. But when I restart my 2007 FEH the lights are out. Sometimes they light up while I'm driving but I drove it about 30 miles yesterday with no lights.
I was thinking maybe the battery filter was clogged affecting the battery temps so today I looked at both the battery air filter and the main engine air filter. Both were a little dirty but I could see plenty of light getting through ( I once was thought that if light can't get through air can't get through). I will get replacements for both soon.

Does anyone know if the FEH might sense pressure on both sides of the filter and error out with a high-pressure difference?

It has been 3 days for me now and I am paying attention. Wondering if shaking out the air filters might make a difference.
The big question for me is why would the service soon light and the wrence light both come on but leave no DCT code?

GaryG 11-05-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by guerinkeywest (Post 239069)
I am getting this same indication. But when I restart my 2007 FEH the lights are out. Sometimes they light up while I'm driving but I drove it about 30 miles yesterday with no lights.
I was thinking maybe the battery filter was clogged affecting the battery temps so today I looked at both the battery air filter and the main engine air filter. Both were a little dirty but I could see plenty of light getting through ( I once was thought that if light can't get through air can't get through). I will get replacements for both soon.

Does anyone know if the FEH might sense pressure on both sides of the filter and error out with a high-pressure difference?

It has been 3 days for me now and I am paying attention. Wondering if shaking out the air filters might make a difference.
The big question for me is why would the service soon light and the wrence light both come on but leave no DCT code?

There is a good chance this is the battery blend door fault. Mine did the same thing for 40,000 miles till I sold it. Sometimes I'd go weeks without the warning, but I never had any driveability problems. Someone claimed it was the lack of enough grease on the moving door parts.

GaryG

RiverRat37 11-05-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by guerinkeywest (Post 239069)

I have always believed that if you can see good light thru a filter, then it's not ready to replace. I see no reason that shouldn't be so. I checked my battery filter and it's in very good shape, not even anything to shake out of it and lots of light coming thru. My "service soon" and wrench continue to come and go on a schedule of their own!

guerinkeywest 11-05-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 239070)
There is a good chance this is the battery blend door fault. Mine did the same thing for 40,000 miles till I sold it. Sometimes I'd go weeks without the warning, but I never had any driveability problems. Someone claimed it was the lack of enough grease on the moving door parts.

GaryG

Thanks Gary I value your thoughts a lot.

This is the first indication of any problem since I bought my FEH in Dec 2006. I will begin to study the blend door problem. I have heard of it before as I have been lurking on this forum for 5 years now.

I am sure that most of the lurkers in this forum really appreciate the time you spend posting here, I know I do.

guerinkeywest 11-05-2011 07:39 PM

hey River rat.

Thanks to Gary I began looking at blend door problems and found lots of info. I will post links here to what I found.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...78/index2.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...-actuator.html

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ctuator-23378/

here are 2 linkjs that do not have to do with ythe blend door but thought everyone here would like them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLvo...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a5Y4O17UoCo

travelover 11-06-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by guerinkeywest (Post 239075)
hey River rat.

Thanks to Gary I began looking at blend door problems and found lots of info. I will post links here to what I found.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...78/index2.html

See my comments in the link above. Replacing the blend door motor yourself is not that hard and is likely the culprit. The mechanism has a cheap copper spring that acts as a brush to maintain electrical contact as it rotates. I suspect that this is why the problem is so erratic.

econoline 11-06-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by guerinkeywest (Post 239075)
here are 2 linkjs that do not have to do with ythe blend door but thought everyone here would like them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLvo...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a5Y4O17UoCo

Thanks for the links, definitely interesting to watch.