Shocks and Struts 2008 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Shocks and Struts 2008 FEH

Hi all.

I just purchased a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 2wd with 75,000 miles. The mechanic I took it to to give it a look over advised me to change the front struts and the back shocks.

It seems like this is a good mileage to do such a thing. My question for you is: Is it important that I get the Ford original parts... or would I be fine going after market?

My buddy who knows something about cars recommended this set: http://www.justsuspension.com/catalo...ape-2001-2008/

with these as well:
http://www.justsuspension.com/kyb-st...it-sm5390.html

Thanks for your advice!

ThatJoeRussellguy

Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Shocks and Struts 2008 FEH

I always install aftermarket. Which one to install will depend on your driving habits and ride requirements. Do some research and buy what seems to fit your driving.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just installed KYBs on all 4 corners. Very reasonably priced if you shop them carefully.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

Took it in for an oil change today at a Firestone. I told them I just bought it and wondered if THEY could check the shocks and struts because I heard at close to 80,000 miles I should think about changing them. They inspected them and told me that they looked to be in fine condition and they did not recommend changing them at this time...

So, the first mechanic made me feel like I was endangering my life... and these other guys told me they look good... no leakage and holding up well.

Maybe I take it to a third?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got 180,000km on 08's stock shocks and struts and last time it was up on the lift (tires being rotated) I asked the guys to look at mine, no issues at all.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

How long the struts and shocks last will depend on driving styles, road surfaces, pot holes, if you hit speed bumps faster than normal, driving fast over train tracks, etc.

I have seen them fail at 40,000 miles and last to 150,000 miles. Some cars are also prone to having problems with factory struts failing early (my Camry is one of them...).

Old 02-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Joe,
When I lived a little bit south of Chicago 40k on shocks was good. Now I've got 180k on my factory stuff. Difference is roads, and driving style primarily. I cross RR grade crossings a few times a year now, as opposed to a few times a day. I deal with very little and rare snow, and have seen a snowplow at work maybe twice in the last 10 years as opposed to daily a few months a year, and (unfortunately) they REFUSE to use any salt on the roads here at all. Do you get my drift? If things feel loose, or the bumps are hard or noisy, do all 4 and get a clean start. If you know that the rig was babied and never met a RR track, spend the money on something else.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

If there's nothing leaking then there's no need to change them out. "Mechanic" scammer is just trying to make money off you.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
If there's nothing leaking then there's no need to change them out. "Mechanic" scammer is just trying to make money off you.
Shocks/strut inserts can be worn out without leaking.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I just installed KYBs on all 4 corners. Very reasonably priced if you shop them carefully.
I just bought some KYB Excel-G 344356 for my 2006 FEH and the stem bushings aren't correct. The original lower stem bushing is much larger and has a "nipple" that protrudes into the compartment and the upper stem bushing is larger with a larger diameter hole to fit over the protruding nipple of the lower bushing. Also, I cannot remove the bushings on the original lower portion of the shock and the KYB did not come with those bushings.

Did you have any of these issues? What model KYB's did you get? Thanks

Quick Reply: Shocks and Struts 2008 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands