Should I even bother with a hybrid??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I even bother with a hybrid??

I've done my homework, thanks to all the Escape/RV forums. There is a TSB already out for the dealer to lower the fluid level for "recreational towing". Also, the second printing of the owners manual says the same thing, to have the dealer lower the fluid level to just above the low mark. I was hoping to find a used one made after Feb 2010 but mine is Dec '09. You're right, the rumor says the baffle was done 2/10 but I don't have proof. Regardless, I have 34k miles left on powertrain warranty so I'm covered if it craps out. Especially if I do everything their manual says I can do.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by jerrybb
I've done my homework, thanks to all the Escape/RV forums. There is a TSB already out for the dealer to lower the fluid level for "recreational towing". Also, the second printing of the owners manual says the same thing, to have the dealer lower the fluid level to just above the low mark. I was hoping to find a used one made after Feb 2010 but mine is Dec '09. You're right, the rumor says the baffle was done 2/10 but I don't have proof. Regardless, I have 34k miles left on powertrain warranty so I'm covered if it craps out. Especially if I do everything their manual says I can do.
There's been a few burn outs even when following the new procedure.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Ok, you decide.

The Hybrid Escape / Mariner will net about 24 MPG at 75 MPH.
How many other vehicles get 24 MPG at highway speeds?
Answer: Most of 'em.

My 6.6 liter V8 GMC Duramax Diesel 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, a much larger, 6100 pound empty weight truck nets me about 22 MPG at 75 MPH highway. Plus it has a much more comfortable interior for those long trips.
This, oddly enough is the better choice for me for highway driving.
Costs a tad more, but the creature comfort is worth it.
Plus it has enough fuel tank for 750 miles. (36 gallons)
The Escape will go 330 miles or so on a tank at highway speed.
I can buy diesel in the "cheaper" locations when I find 'em with that kind of range.
As it happens, I just returned from a highway trip at 70 MPH. My 2008 AWD FEH returned 30 MPG.

EDIT: At that speed I will get a little over 400 miles on a tank, with reserve. But I would never go that long without a stop anyway...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
As it happens, I just returned from a highway trip at 70 MPH. My 2008 AWD FEH returned 30 MPG.

EDIT: At that speed I will get a little over 400 miles on a tank, with reserve. But I would never go that long without a stop anyway...
Sheldon from Big Bang Theory: "We're only as strong as our weakest bladder."