Show us your hitch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Show us your hitch!!!!

Let me clarify. I moved the muffler (per the instructions) so my torque wrench would fit and I could be sure I was imparting the specified minimum (72 ft-lbs) on the fastener. Yes, its possible to get to the nut with the muffler hanger attached. The two "tricks" I found worked well were: 1) fishing the bolt leader wires 'backwards' and then attaching the bolt to pull them through to the holes, and 2) installing both vertical bolts and nuts - to locate the hitch before trying to fish the wires for the four remaining horizontal bolts.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here is a pic...

Old 10-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Well, I got my hitch installed today.

I bought a Draw-Tite model #75281. It clears both the refrigerant lines and the muffler by over an inch. After reading some bad stuff, I was worried about both of those.

It took about an 1.5 hours to install, but I was taking my time. I found that with the MMH, both frame ends were 1/2 open. That eliminated the need to drill an access hole on the driver's side. Because of the 1/2 open frame, I inserted the "fishing wire" the thru the bolt hole, and fished it back to the larger target of the open frame end. Because of doing it that way, though much easier (a larger hole as target), the "fishing wire" was about 6" too short. So, I had to extend it by duct taping an extension wire onto its end.

I haven't done lights yet. I bought the Valley T-connector #30131 to attach to the tail lights, and the Modulite #18193 power adapter due to the Message Center's monitoring of power to sense bulb outage. I am not too worried about the lights because my primary usage of the hitch is for a bicycle carrier.

I got all my stuff from etrailer.com.

| (corrected T-connector P/N)
I also have the Draw-Tite hitch. It took about an hour to install it. The horizontal holes in the frame needed to be enlarged some to get the bolts' square heads. I spent most of the time to get the bolt that I have lost in the frame. I fished it out with a wire hanger later. I need to the lights still. I also have the t-connector and modulite. Any experiences on how to run the cable from the battery and where to install the modulite and such.
Thanks

Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 PM

O Oral -
Didn't your Draw-Tite come with rectangular black washers with the square holes that accept the square headed bolts ? See this photo: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2059.html

This would preclude having to enlarge any holes.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
O Oral -
Didn't your Draw-Tite come with rectangular black washers with the square holes that accept the square headed bolts ? See this photo: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2059.html

He's right mine weren't black (they were the color of the washers below) but I did have those plates. And if you don't have them you should get them and install them. Those plates probably are not just adapters. I would guess (limited amount of mechanical engineering here... i'm an EE not ME) that they also serve to spread the force of the hitch weight (and the tounge weight from the towed vehicle) out over a larger area preventing the bolts from tearing through the metal and the hitch from dropping down. You'd be better off with them installed.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm getting in on this one late, but can't resist congratulating you on your upcoming April Fools Day event. I often tell people that there are only two important events in life. The first is the arrival of the first child, when you learn that you can no longer go out on an impulse, to dinner or a flic or whatever. The second is when that first child becomes old enough to sit for the others, and then you can again go out on an impulse. The years between just fly by.

I have a Draw-Tite, and it is just fine. The fact that the frame stringers were half-open in back made all the difference. On my old Explorer I had to do some heavy drilling.

Hal

(Oops, forgot to enclose quote, showing that the baby comments were directed to Shannon.)

Old 10-19-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ooral
The horizontal holes in the frame needed to be enlarged some to get the bolts' square heads. I spent most of the time to get the bolt that I have lost in the frame.
Yea, the instructions warn the installer that they might need to enlarge the horizontal "access" hole into order to get the bolts through them. However, as I mentioned, I was able to, instead, fish all my bolts through the 1/2 open frame ends, even the bolts/plates destined for the forward most holes. The "fishing wire" wasn't quote long enough to do that (which is why you might have used the access holes instead), but I was able to extend the "fishing wire" to reach.

Yea, I was worried about loosing a bolt or plate in the frame. It would had been very difficult to pick up the SUV, and shake it out.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 AM

Tim - your instincts are correct, they are commonly called "load spreaders" and they are frequently specified on surfaces (like the inside of the frame tube) that are uneven or have raised welds, etc. - to avoid stress concentrations around holes. [ A frame should never have a square hole to accept a square head bolt -- creates stress concentrations in the corners ]

Walt - I assume every DIY'er has a flexible magnetic pick-up (for example: http://allmagnetics.com/hardware/pickuptools.htm) for those frequent times that items are dropped into inaccessible holes. I predicted I would need mine for the hitch install....but I lucked out and fished all six bolts without incident.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

O Oral -

Nope, no black washers. I had black hex headed bolts though . I believe they were for installing to the factory installed hitch receiver.
All I had to do was enlarge the hole enough so that square end would fit in and don't turn while I am tightening the thing.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Tim - your instincts are correct, they are commonly called "load spreaders" and they are frequently specified on surfaces (like the inside of the frame tube) that are uneven or have raised welds, etc. - to avoid stress concentrations around holes. [ A frame should never have a square hole to accept a square head bolt -- creates stress concentrations in the corners ]

Walt - I assume every DIY'er has a flexible magnetic pick-up (for example: http://allmagnetics.com/hardware/pickuptools.htm) for those frequent times that items are dropped into inaccessible holes. I predicted I would need mine for the hitch install....but I lucked out and fished all six bolts without incident.
You mean I need to uninstall everything and start over?

Quick Reply: Show us your hitch!!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands