Sleeping/Camping in the FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Sleeping/Camping in the FEH?

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I could not find an answer to this question in a search of previous posts.

Some Prius owners have said that they can sleep in their cars. They leave their cars in an "on" state meaning that the computer controls when the ICE starts and stops. They have the AC on so that during the course of the night when the AC drains the battery enough the ICE starts up, replenishes the battery, and shuts off again. This cycle is repeated during the night.

There are some concerns regarding the ICE enging running and carbon monoxide possibly entering the cabin.

Does anyone know if the same thing can be done with the Escape Hybrid? This would add a lot of flexibility and utility to the vehicle. Spending a comfortable night camping is certainly a plus.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sleeping/Camping in the FEH?

Originally Posted by Collector
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I could not find an answer to this question in a search of previous posts.

Some Prius owners have said that they can sleep in their cars. They leave their cars in an "on" state meaning that the computer controls when the ICE starts and stops. They have the AC on so that during the course of the night when the AC drains the battery enough the ICE starts up, replenishes the battery, and shuts off again. This cycle is repeated during the night.

There are some concerns regarding the ICE enging running and carbon monoxide possibly entering the cabin.

Does anyone know if the same thing can be done with the Escape Hybrid? This would add a lot of flexibility and utility to the vehicle. Spending a comfortable night camping is certainly a plus.
So long as you are not in an enclosed area, it should be fine (except for using up a bit of gas). The vehicle is designed to put the CO out of the tailpipe, and that would be dispersed so long as you were in an open area.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Perhaps it is different in later models, but on my 2008 FEH, the air only runs when the ICE is running. When it switches to electric, the compressor stops running.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Sleeping/Camping in the FEH?

I remember a couple of post-ers describing how they were stuck mid-trip due to a winter storm so they just slept in the FEH with the heat on low and the key on .....so the ICE would go off and on all night as the PCM directed it to....and it kept them comfortable. So I believe it has been done. [or, maybe it was just key on, heat/fan off, electic blanket plugged in to the 110V outlet]

Although, from what you describe, I might take issue with your definition of the word 'camping'.....

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Link: http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...ategory&id=444
Price $310.00 Product ID: 39448

GPS1man slept in his FEH during a winter snowstorm and left the vehicle on during the night.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

I slept in mine during an unexpected winter overnight because of a closed road in Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and was just fine with temperatures in the teens. had full camping gear with me, but turned on the engine and the heat occasionally, and lived to tell the tale (actually quite comfortable).

Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk

Link: http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...ategory&id=444
Price $310.00 Product ID: 39448

GPS1man slept in his FEH during a winter snowstorm and left the vehicle on during the night.
I actually have this exact same tent but have always used it as just a standalone. Never connected it to a vehicle.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast

I guess what I'm wondering about is how the ignition works on a FEH. Is it the standard turn the key once to power everything up, then turn it again to start the engine?

From what I have read about the Prius there is one "ON" button. After this is pressed the car is powered up and all accessories may be used and the computer controls whether the engine runs or not. You just drive it or let it sit and it automatically charges the battery with the ICE whenever it decides it is necessary.

Does the Escape work in the same way? I'm just trying to find out more detail about how the FEH may be used.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 AM

I actually have this exact same tent but have always used it as just a standalone. Never connected it to a vehicle.
To be honest. I don't care how "clean" a vehicle is, nor how long it runs every time it comes on. A tent out the back is right near the tailpipe. I wouldn't sleep that way. Sorry, not worth the risk of carbon monoxide, or whatever cancer causing materials might be coming out the back.

I wish anyone that does the best, please don't sue Ford if something happens.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Ummm, that vehicle is not an FEH?

Quick Reply: Sleeping/Camping in the FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands