Slid off the road and broke trans shift cable tab

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Slid off the road and broke trans shift cable tab

The snow covered road turned sharply to the left, but my vehicle went straight and I slid off the road and down an embankment (I was going to fast for the conditions). There were some large rocks lining the roadside that I ran over. When I got to the bottom of the small hill, the shifter would not move from "L". So I cleaned the snow from the vehicle and tried to rock it back and forth with foot power, but it wouldn't budge. I needed to get it into P so I could start the vehicle.

Not knowing what to do, I pushed the shifter kinda hard until it was in P. Then she started right up and the shifter moved real easy. It went into gear and I was able to drive, but when I put it in P, it would still roll.

Had it towed to the dealer and waiting for the insurance claims adjuster. Dealer said the shifter cable was bent and the connector broke. I went down to look and sure enough, the shifter tab and plastic connecter are right in front of the CVT. Only a plastic shield protecting them.

I think if they write me a check, I will fix it myself as the dealer quoted $750. Then just take it to a body shop and fix the front bumper which is cracked and the passenger rocker panel need replaced.

These things should have a skit plate. I asked the parts guy and he said he was unaware of any. Might just make my own. Any other vehicle and this would not be an issue. Love the car, it just needs some help in the vulnerability department.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Slid off the road and broke trans shift cable tab

Put a skid plate on 1000's of vehicles just because ONE driver went off-road, unintentionally off-road.

NOT..!!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Don't misunderstand the post. I am putting the ownness on myself. Might just make my own.
Second, don't assume only one driver went off road unintentionally. Additionally, some do it intentionally.

Third, It would profitable for Ford to offer this option.

For those that live in temperate climates, this is not an issue. For those of us that live in the Rocky Mountains, we would gladly pay more to have a skid plate.

The main purpose of the post was really to reveal a "Potential" vulnerability. A word of caution if you will. This cable and tab sits low in the undercarriage and is exposed. Only protected by a plastic wind deflector.

~C

Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by cmobile
........ I am putting the ownness on myself...........
I believe the word is "onus".