Is a slight reverse to forward "half shudder" normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is a slight reverse to forward "half shudder" normal?

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The above statement is FALSE for all Ford/Mercury/Mazda models.

Only a severe (hard) press of the brake pedal removes all torque (that last 1 horsepower).
A mild press, with certainty, does not.

John
(owner with 7 years and 135,000 miles)
You're saying that if I'm in "drive" with the nose facing downhill then I must press more heavily on the brake pedal than normally since I now have to overcome that 1 HP of forward "drive" and the downhill slope..?

It seems a bit "fuelish" to me to use the HV SOC to get the vehicle to "creep" when the "natural" "roll" might otherwise be forward or backward.

That's exactly why most newer vehicles have something called hill-hold or hill-start, keeps the frictional brakes engaged until pressure is applied to the accelerator pedal.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by wwest
You're saying that if I'm in "drive" with the nose facing downhill then I must press more heavily on the brake pedal than normally since I now have to overcome that 1 HP of forward "drive" and the downhill slope..?
Yes. but probably less than in a traditional automatic.

It seems a bit "fuelish" to me to use the HV SOC to get the vehicle to "creep" when the "natural" "roll" might otherwise be forward or backward.
No not really. If you are on flat, you need the creep. As soon as the roll velocity exceeds x the battery current is nil.

That's exactly why most newer vehicles have something called hill-hold or hill-start, keeps the frictional brakes engaged until pressure is applied to the accelerator pedal.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by hondarider90
I thought I already said it happens even if the engine is always running, it happens even in the morning when it's in open loop and the engine is never warm enough to shut off, it is not an engine start stop sensation, it is an automatic transmission shifting directions sensation.
Just a note to chime in that I also have a small shudder when my FEH is cold. I have noticed it when first pulling out, after I have shifted from reverse, but also after the transmission should logically already be in forward gear. I don't consider it a problem, but a characteristic of the 05-08 FEH transmission.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Just a note to chime in that I also have a small shudder when my FEH is cold. I have noticed it when first pulling out, after I have shifted from reverse, but also after the transmission should logically already be in forward gear. I don't consider it a problem, but a characteristic of the 05-08 FEH transmission.
"...but also after the transmission should logically already be in a forward gear..."

Your FEH "transmission" does not have a forward or reverse gear in the traditional sense, just the ability to reverse the direction of the primary drive electric motor.

Should the ICE shut down in reverse "gear", as I suspect it does, once you shift back into drive it most likely doesn't initially restart the ICE until you subsequently depress the accelerator pedal.

The ICE restart at that point is most likely the source of the "shudder".

Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Please read closer before posting all this wwest. He stated that it was a cold start, the engine would not reach operating temperature to shut down before the short time it takes to back out of a driveway and start down the road.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Please read closer before posting all this wwest. He stated that it was a cold start, the engine would not reach operating temperature to shut down before the short time it takes to back out of a driveway and start down the road.
I'm glad you responded, because I refuse to have anything to do with wwest, and I find ignoring the posts to be most effective.

Of course the engine is running all the time when first started up. However, the difference is that the reverse is pure electric, while the forward direction is a combination of power sources, although the electric assist is the stronger factor until the SOC goes down to 40.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Mine does this in ev or not in ev. It is the forward and reverse 1 hp torque I wrote about. New data here.

Coasting in ev in drive you get slight regen at any speed above 15 mph.
6 mph to 15 mph you get nothing into the battery or out. No 1 hp creep.
From 0 to 5 mph you get ~ 2 amps or 1 hp of torque to the wheels in both forward and reverse. Mine does this shudder so I consider it normal.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Tyler, now that GPSman says he has the shutter in his FWD, this issue may be normal. I could always tell what was normal because I purchased both my FEH's new.

One thing you might need to consider is Ford's patented warm-up strategy. This strategy disengages torque from the engine and retards the timing for a faster warm-up period. The sounds you may be hearing may just be the normal changes in the shifts in the strategy. In reverse, the engine could be charging the battery with MG1, but when you shift to neutral, charging stops. When you shift to "D" during the warm-up strategy, charging also stops with MG1 until the engine is warmed-up and goes closed-loop. The exception is when you request more power torque than the electric motors can provide during the warm-up strategy and the strategy advances the timing and provides the increased torque with both the engine and electric motors. The warm-up strategy Ford uses in the FEH is to reduce emissions during cold starts. Both my '05 and '09 FEH use the same warm-up strategy. I always use the strategy during cold starts to get the maximum MPG possible during warm-up.

GaryG

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's definitely not warm up related, it does it when warm too, there's lash somewhere.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM

It's definitely not warm up related, it does it when warm too, there's lash somewhere.
Since you can't determine a lash, shutter or thunk you're hearing that you've stated in this thread, you're no worst than WWest postings. Do you own a FEH? You say the sound comes when it's cold, now warm. What is it? Get your story straight WWhondarider!

GaryG

Quick Reply: Is a slight reverse to forward "half shudder" normal?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands