Small Utility Trailer with FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Small Utility Trailer with FEH?

I searched and read a few threads on towing, but I wanted to ask opinions on what I am thinking about doing. First off, I bought my first hybrid car in March (06 Prius) and I love it. It's our family car, and we get 50 -55 MPG so far. I own a lawn care company and the crews use full size vans to pull a trailer with lawn equipment, and they get about 10 MPG. I have to add a new crew this month, and was tossing around the idea of getting a FEH and a smaller trailer and *try* to keep the load at the recommended 1000 lb. level. Basically, this vehicle would be pulling this trailer in one or two subdivisions all day, with very little, if any, highway miles. It will be stopping and starting every 20-30 minutes. The vehicle I am looking at is a 2005 with 45k miles, and appears to be in great shape. Is there anything I should look for? I would like to hear all of your opinions. TIA

Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Small Utility Trailer with FEH?

The main issue is that with a load of people in the FEH and gear on the trailer (I'm assuming you're thinking of using the FEH to haul both), you'll be in the lower end of the 20mpg range and performance will definitely be sluggish. The FEH has worked well for heavy use such as taxis and beach lifeguards but is not really equipped for utility purposes (i.e. vinyl interiors, rubber floors, etc). In my experience, just having a few passengers and some gear is challenging enough for the FEH's engine.
If you like the idea of using a hybrid SUV, a fullsize GM one or the Toyota would be better equipped to handle your intended use and will probably get very similar MPG to a loaded FEH in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Thumbs up Re: Small Utility Trailer with FEH?

I think the FEH is a good candidate for what you want to do:
Towing a low speeds.

I tow this cross-country, and it's hard to go 65 MPH.

MPG is in the teens at 65 MPH.
I get a tad over 20 MPG at 55 MPH.
I get about 30 MPG around town. WHILE TOWING!!!!!!!
However, I can tow this in EV mode around parking lots and residential areas at 25 MPH fairly easily. And of course the engine is off any time the wheels are not moving, and I get tons of regen charging to the battery.
That trailer is 3200 pounds and has a frontal area of 7'w x 9' tall.

If you carry items on a flatbed that are low to the ground, and keep it under 55 MPH, it will be a piece of cake for the FEH... GO FOR IT!
-John

Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Feral Engineer

I don't think this is a good application for a hybrid. The engine will almost always be operating cold and you won't get much EV time or much opportunity for regenerative braking. You might do better with a used compact pickup with a 4 cylinder engine. You will get better mileage than a full sized van, but the operating conditions that you need pretty much guarantee poor mileage.

I have a folding Harbor Freight trailer that I pull with my FEH and it pulls it well, but most of my hauling is at 45 to 55 mph on two lane highways.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

You would be fine with the Escape hybrid. It might not hold up to the cleanliness of the interior, but the engine will be fine for pulling and even at 20mpg, you will be double what the van can ever do. There is also the chance that it WILL do better, b/c of electric mode.

Weight issues? Dont worry about them. I used my Mariner to pull a 25kw generator (3000 lbs) and it pulled like the genset wasn't even there. (Kinda ironic - Electric car pulling electric generator)

But worse than that was pulling my Jeep Liberty CRD - (4300 lbs) for over 500 miles after the engine blew. Got in the low 20s at 65mph.
Also pulled the same Jeep, WITH a 6x12 box trailer (3500 lbs) for 2 miles in ELECTRIC ONLY mode. You won't be sorry. The escape can hack it.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Consider that if you have a crew driving this, they'll use the a/c on full time so you'll never get any electric only miles. No crew that is mowing lawns is going to give a crap about what kind of gas mileage YOU get. Personally, I think I'd get something a bit more idiot proof. You can get good mileage out of the FEH, but you've got to be motivated to do so.