SOC Discharge rate

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default SOC Discharge rate

I have a 06 FEH with 86K miles. I was wondering how long and how far I should be able to run on the battery once it's warm and switching to EV mode. I think I have the issue where it will drive correctly for 30mins and then not switch to EV mode. My drive to work is short about 10mins but I can get it switch over to battery but it just seems to switch back to ICE before I can get to work. It will be at around 53-55 SOC and switch to ICE at around 39. Thanks for any insight on the issue.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SOC Discharge rate

Originally Posted by guyver76
I have a 06 FEH with 86K miles. I was wondering how long and how far I should be able to run on the battery once it's warm and switching to EV mode. I think I have the issue where it will drive correctly for 30mins and then not switch to EV mode. My drive to work is short about 10mins but I can get it switch over to battery but it just seems to switch back to ICE before I can get to work. It will be at around 53-55 SOC and switch to ICE at around 39. Thanks for any insight on the issue.
Once the SOC gets below 40, the ICE will engage every time. I'm surprised that you get into EV at all with a 10 minute commute.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah just make it sometimes it doesn't switch over. But how far should I be able to go once in EV mode. Also on longer commutes the eng will stay on sometimes even with a 53 to 55 SOC. .

Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is dependent on your speed as well. Over 35mph or so the ICE will kick in.

I can go about a mile on a nice flat run until the ICE kicks in, recharges the battery and then shuts down.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by wbonville
Over 35mph or so the ICE will kick in.
I think the magic number there is 40mph.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by elborak
I think the magic number there is 40mph.
In my experience it depends on the terrain. The FEH will always run the ICE above 40 MPH (by design), but in my experience it will only do EV when accelerating or maintaining speed below 30 MPH. I can drive on EV between 30 and 40 if there is a slight slope downwards.

On flat terrain, I can use the EV up to around 30 MPH, but it is very hard to do and requires very slow acceleration.

Max distance is about 1 mile on flat terrain.

EDIT: This is for the Gen 1 system, up to 2008. The later models have better capabilities.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks all

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by guyver76
"53-55 SOC"

The 1st generation FEH is designed to "hang around" 53% SOC. When SOC exceeds 53%, the software is designed to stop increasing SOC via MG1 and will attempt to burn off excess SOC. One can increase SOC beyond 53% via regenerative braking but as SOC increases, the effect of regernative braking via MG2 decreases.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

If you are not entering electric mode after 30 minutes where it has already entered electric mode and SOC is over 40, you might want to check the battery filter is clean then the blend door actuator is working and then lastly that the battery cooling fans are both working. If you have a scan gauge, read TAV (average battery cell temperature) and make sure is is less than 86, this would mean the cooling system for the battery is working OK. If it is over 86 than something is most likely wrong. If the the filter is clean, blend door is working and fans are spinning, try turning on the AC or defroster, in some cases this forces the AC compressor to kick on and allows for battery cooling. Yes I know this is not SOP but it works for some of us who have this same issue. Check this site for more info about these problems.