Sold My '09 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Default Sold My '09 FEH

To let some of you know, I sold my '09 FEHL for $17,500. It had only 30,500 miles with a lifetime 53.9mpg. The FEH looked new inside and out and I had a matching FEHL rim and full spare. Original tires looked like they had about 60,000 miles left on them because I kept 55psi in them. Never an accident and she was still running great.

I'll still visit the site here and I still have my '05 & '09 Workshop Manuals to help troubleshoot problems. Love my C-Max Energi and it now has 990 miles with a 145mpg lifetime. Still have over 3/4 tank that should last till next year. Hypermiling gives me a 30 EV mile charge with the A/C set at 71F. Keeping the battery cool with cabin A/C is the key because it will shut EV mode off at 113F. These batteries get hot with both charging and discharging in EV. If I run the battery down below 17%, I have to drive in hybrid mode like the FEH. The engine shuts off by just letting off the gas pedal at any speed below 85mph. This makes for one hell of a P&G in hybrid mode. I still use P&G in all EV mode so the battery will go 30 miles instead of the 21 miles it's designed for.

Gary

Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sold My '09 FEH

Thanks for the update. Since Greenhybrid does not have a C-Max section (why is that?) you can be found elsewhere posting on the C-max owners site--I have to chase down the link-with your latest findings. The original FEH owners posting on this site slowly continues to drop in numbers. Then again, a ton of information can be found via the search button.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Thanks for the update. Since Greenhybrid does not have a C-Max section (why is that?) you can be found elsewhere posting on the C-max owners site--I have to chase down the link-with your latest findings. The original FEH owners posting on this site slowly continues to drop in numbers. Then again, a ton of information can be found via the search button.
Thanks Billy

Even the FEH site here gets slow at times and the FFH site went dead. Maybe this section of the site should expand to the FEH and other Ford EV's and Hybrids.

Even people with the C-Max Hybrid post on the C-Max Energi Owners site because their site is not active enough.

I think all Ford hybrid owners share interest in these type of vehicles in general, so why not combine them.

On a side note, I was talking to my dealer hybrid tech and I brought up the battery fans. He said they were not covered under the hybrid warranty. As I started to jump down his throat, he quickly backed off and admitted they were covered. Then he added that the battery blend door was covered also, but very few people know it. This has been a game Ford and the dealers play, and I bet the Aux A/C is covered also. My SA heard this conversation and quickly changed the subject.

Gary

Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry the Fusion didn't fit in the stable. But you have a new toy, so all is good. whomever got your '09 got a bargain. Stinks resale on these is in the basement. I did ok on the '07, I took all the tax incentives and at 0%, and huge depreciation, I didn't lose my booty, broke even. I always thought the FEH was a stop gap, ie, meet Fed expectations on an alternative fuel vehicle which is why so many FEH were sold for taxies,meet that #.

I'll keep an eye on your progess. Again, thanks for being a diehard Gary. mucho appreciated.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Sorry the Fusion didn't fit in the stable. But you have a new toy, so all is good. whomever got your '09 got a bargain. Stinks resale on these is in the basement. I did ok on the '07, I took all the tax incentives and at 0%, and huge depreciation, I didn't lose my booty, broke even. I always thought the FEH was a stop gap, ie, meet Fed expectations on an alternative fuel vehicle which is why so many FEH were sold for taxies,meet that #.

I'll keep an eye on your progess. Again, thanks for being a diehard Gary. mucho appreciated.
Good to see you back here Jerry.

The '09 was a hell of a FEH, but the lady that got it really loves it. The Fusion Energi was just too much money with the options I wanted. I got a X-Plan PIN from a friend and my dealer finally excepted it. My dealer made a trade from another one of his other stores for the Energi. I offered to drive their '13 Fusion 200 miles to pick up my new Energi, and they said okay. It's Plat While, tan leather, MFT, Nav and everything else but the moon roof and automatic parking. This was exactly what I would have ordered and I only had a week to wait for shipping from the factory. Ford sent me a $750 private cash coupon for the C-Max Hybrid or Energi, so it was time to act before the coupon expired.

I'll get the Helms Workshop Manuals for the Energi when they become available and CarlD has already gave me some new Energi X-Gauge codes for my SGII. This battery charges to 100% and drains to 16% for hybrid mode. Ford has a new method of heating the CAT fast for hybrid mode for fast engine shutdown. The engine does not start until the battery is depleted for hybrid mode. This allows you drive in EV without ever starting the engine if you can make it to a plug-in charger before hybrid mode kicks in. You cannot charge the plug-in portion of the battery with the engine and MG1 or MG2. You must use a plug-in charger to fully charge the battery.

Now you know why I sold my FEH's.

Gary

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, can I pick your brains? Is there anything I should look for in an 06 FEH I am looking to buy, which has 150k miles? it's fully loaded minus the Nav cd's and seems cheap at 6$.. I'm gonna run a carfax before I drive the 2 hours to check it out. are you seeing many go 200,000 yet?
thanks
Ted

Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeddyB4x4
Hi, can I pick your brains? Is there anything I should look for in an 06 FEH I am looking to buy, which has 150k miles? it's fully loaded minus the Nav cd's and seems cheap at 6$.. I'm gonna run a carfax before I drive the 2 hours to check it out. are you seeing many go 200,000 yet?
thanks
Ted
Items to check:
  • Motor electronic cooling system pump (MECS)--if it still has the original, then get a replacement
  • See if you can hear the hybrid battery fans running in the cargo area
  • The slot on the drivers side of the cargo window has a tunnel leading to the hybrid battery pack. This slot will draw in air for cooling purposes but wear and tear sometimes causes the door to stick and not cool the hybrid battery as designed.
  • Alignment--stock alignment is "toe-in". Make sure it is neutral.
  • Tires, you want low rolling resistance tires.
    ---a test drive should reveal the hybrid battery can power the car about one mile non-stop in EV mode
Let others chime in. Spud just reported his FEH reached 200,000 miles with minimum issues.

Last edited by Billyk24; 07-03-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Sold My '09 FEH

When do the fans run, after it's warmed up?
I've read a lot of threads and will look for the vent alignment.
Does Ford show you service records(pump replacement , etc) like mytoyota.com? I'll look on carfax some show up I saw!
I thought I read FEH had standard tires?
I did note a few common repairs to be stabilizer links and liftgate motors(didn't realize they were powered?