Spare Key ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Spare Key ?

I'd like to get a spare key for my FEH to hide under the chassis in the event of a lockout. Seems like the cheapest way is to buy one of the "chipped OEM universal keys" from eBay or the internet for $20, have it cut at a locksmith, and then program it per the owner's manual.

Has anyone done this, or know what the Ford dealer charges to simply supply a ready to use key?

Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Spare Key ?

I bought 3 key fobs off ebay. I had them cut at the local hardware store, and did the programing on my own. You have to have two working keys to program a third key. Put the first key in, turn to run (don't have to start the car), turn off, do the same with the second key, and now put the third key in and it will learn the code from the new key. I belive there is a limit to the number of keys you can have programed. Since you can't use the flat wallet key, i keep a spare at work, and spares at home. Nice to keep friends who know where your spare is too. The keys did have the ford logo stamp on the head of the key.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by dimmer69
I bought 3 key fobs off ebay. I had them cut at the local hardware store, and did the programing on my own. You have to have two working keys to program a third key. Put the first key in, turn to run (don't have to start the car), turn off, do the same with the second key, and now put the third key in and it will learn the code from the new key. I belive there is a limit to the number of keys you can have programed. Since you can't use the flat wallet key, i keep a spare at work, and spares at home. Nice to keep friends who know where your spare is too. The keys did have the ford logo stamp on the head of the key.
Thanks. That's exactly what I plan to do. Good to know it will work. Too bad about the flat wallet keys not working, I always kept one of those in the wallet for the Chev. Blazer.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 AM

I saw that add on Ebay which says the Key is for the '05 & '06 Escape Hybrid with program. The '05 does not use the progammed key security system, a regular key is all you need for the '05 FEH models. Ford did add the security key for the '06 though and the regular '05 Escape has it also.

GaryG

Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM

I found these on eBay and got a couple. This was the best price I could find.
http://tinyurl.com/34h3to

Old 02-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Another option that's about twice the cost (or actually cheaper if you're buying multiple spare keys), is a keyless entry keypad.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Randy, you always slip in the smart thing to do. I love my keypad! The price was $54 and programming was simple. See my pics for a look.

GaryG

Old 02-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Well ,It looks like my pics have been deleleted, looks like I need to post other places from now ON GH!

GaryG

Old 02-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by randykato
Another option that's about twice the cost (or actually cheaper if you're buying multiple spare keys), is a keyless entry keypad.
I thought about the keypad as an alternative to the spare key. Problem is that the keypad is really just a remote key fob, and you still need a key to start the car once you get the door unlocked. The spare key will both unlock the door and start the car. I'm thinking worst case here, where I've completely lost my key, not just a lockout where the key is locked inside.

Last edited by econoline; 02-03-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Just to mention, it is not that easy to lock your keys in. If you try to lock the hybrid, with the key in the ignition, it will just automatically unlock the driver's door.

Quick Reply: Spare Key ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands