And speaking of brake repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default And speaking of brake repairs...

Here's a problem that has me mystified. Over the winter I remember coming down the steep road leading from my house. I began to slide, and in a panic stop I slammed on the brakes. Everything seemed to work well-- ABS activity light came on, wheels didn't lock, maintained control. The weird thing was that as soon as the ABS kicked in I dropped into EV mode. That happened once or twice, and we're talking about 30 or so degree temperatures, with the Escape nowhere near warm.

Now that the weather is better, it's starting to happen in normal stops, usually on anything over a 12% grade. Usually happens when the roads are dry, so I know it's not triggered by the ABS itself, but it appears in the same manner: ABS seems to kick in, light appears, Escape goes ICE off, and then the car lurches forward as if there are no brakes for a moment or so (I didn't notice this in winter due to the icy conditions, I suppose.)

So, anyone experienced this before, or is it unique? Any idea what might be causing it, what I could look at and what the repair costs might be?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Un-Enthusiast
Default Re: And speaking of brake repairs...

As I brake my car occasionally "lurches forward". It is fairly subtle and you hear some noise, almost like something is sliding forward. I do not know what causes this, but my front pads are at 2mm and assumed that it may go away when i replace them next week.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EagleFan89
As I brake my car occasionally "lurches forward". It is fairly subtle and you hear some noise, almost like something is sliding forward. I do not know what causes this, but my front pads are at 2mm and assumed that it may go away when i replace them next week.

Hm, that seems similar to what's happening to me, even though I've got plenty of pad left. Let me know what happens.

Aside from that, may I ask what kind of Eagle fan are you?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

With ALL current HSD systems when the ABS senses impending wheel lockup the regenerative braking system is INSTANTLY disabled, sometimes this action alone is enough to alleviate the situation and ABS itself, actual frictional brake release, never occurs.

That results in a feeling of lurching forward, braking being slightly released due to the few milliseconds it takes to bring the brake pads into contact with the rotor to make up for the sudden loss of regenerative braking.

Additionally it appears that many HSD models reduce the level of regenerative braking quite significantly if the OAT is hovering around or below freezing.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Willard, but please understand if I don't put too much stock into your opinion.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM

That's okay, just a logical thought/guess founded primarily on Toyota factory information anyway.

Your FEH will continue to work in accordance with my explanation regardless of what you believe or not.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Additionally it appears that many HSD models reduce the level of regenerative braking quite significantly if the OAT is hovering around or below freezing.[/quote]

This has been shown not to be true by GPSman1's data and graphs in the Ford Escape Hybrid. I can not speak for any Toyota vehicle.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Strangely enough back in February I had to slam on the brakes and the opposite happened, the ICE popped on and it almost felt like I suddenly stopped on a dime.