Speed Volume option on radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Speed Volume option on radio

OK, I give up.

On the standard radio menu there is an option for "speed volume" numbers 0-7. I can not find any reference in the owners manual for this. While experimenting with the max setting there is no change in volume.

I've had GM cars and the SCV (speed controlled volume) always worked.

-R

Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speed Volume option on radio

In the Nav version, this is called AVC (Automatic Volume Control). Changing the settings shouldn't produce an instantaneous response, but will boost the volume as interior noise increases. I'm guessing that 'speed volume' is a simpler version that increases volume as speed increases.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: Speed Volume option on radio

I have a 06 FEH with a 6 CD/SAT radio (NO NAV), My radio has a speed volume menu for 0-7 volume settings. It did not work so I took it in to have it fixed. The SA said I had a bad radio and ordered a new one. It took 4 weeks but it finally came in. (4 weeks is another story). After a couple of hours with the car the SA came to me and said it still was not working and would need to keep the car for testing and asked if I would leave it over night.

The next day he told me my FEH did NOT have this feature even though the radio acted like it should have it. The tech ran an OASIS and found OASIS # 19400 for 2005-2007 FEH and MMH. He gave me a copy of it and it says it needed a circuit to make it work. It said n part "...also a speed signal input circuit (679 GY-BK) present at pin 14 of c240a of the audio unit. If this circuit is not present in c240a the radio is operating as designed and no repairs are necessary." He also gave me a HVBoM for my vin. It has the features and codes built into my car. Under audio it has a code IGHAA which says "Less radio control auto volume".

Bottom line here is I'm told the car does't have the wiring (senor?) to make the speed volume work.

Just my experience with speed volume.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CanToo
I have a 06 FEH with a 6 CD/SAT radio (NO NAV), My radio has a speed volume menu for 0-7 volume settings. It did not work so I took it in to have it fixed. The SA said I had a bad radio and ordered a new one. It took 4 weeks but it finally came in. (4 weeks is another story). After a couple of hours with the car the SA came to me and said it still was not working and would need to keep the car for testing and asked if I would leave it over night.

The next day he told me my FEH did NOT have this feature even though the radio acted like it should have it. The tech ran an OASIS and found OASIS # 19400 for 2005-2007 FEH and MMH. He gave me a copy of it and it says it needed a circuit to make it work. It said n part "...also a speed signal input circuit (679 GY-BK) present at pin 14 of c240a of the audio unit. If this circuit is not present in c240a the radio is operating as designed and no repairs are necessary." He also gave me a HVBoM for my vin. It has the features and codes built into my car. Under audio it has a code IGHAA which says "Less radio control auto volume".

Bottom line here is I'm told the car does't have the wiring (senor?) to make the speed volume work.

Just my experience with speed volume.
Must depend on what options you have... I have the NAV option and there is a speed volume control on it and it certainly works... In fact when set wrong its fairly annoying because it can ram the volume pretty loud if you just crawl forward a bit at an intersection.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast

Makes sense, thanks.

Anyone have the pin outs to the radio? I found this scrap of info on the net but need to verify it: "Pin 14 679(GY/BK) Vehicle speed signal (+) to powertrain control module"

Seems to be related to the ABS system. If the NAV systems have the feature enabled then the signal must be available.

-R

Last edited by rdinatal; 12-29-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by rdinatal
Makes sense, thanks.

Anyone have the pin outs to the radio? I found this scrap of info on the net but need to verify it: "Pin 14 679(GY/BK) Vehicle speed signal (+) to powertrain control module"

Seems to be related to the ABS system. If the NAV systems have the feature enabled then the signal must be available.

-R
Its definitely enabled on the NAV systems... that signal is also used to disable access to some of the NAV functions so you aren't adjusting them in a moving vehicle.. In fact in the discussion for it there is a fair amount of information on the harness and diagrams so people could disable it. Look in the threads on this site for the NAV system and the ones on adding in an iPod... they both have info on the wiring harness. However I think I read that the wiring harness for the NAV vehicles is significantly different than the non NAV system FEH's. It sounds counterintuitive because you'd think a company wouldn't want to have a whole bunch of different parts for different options if it could be avoided... but you might find that even if a NAV vechile has the VSA (I think thats what the signal is called) yours might not have the same signal available.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

The signal is available and can be used. Now I need a day to find it.

-R

From the Escape/Mariner Hybrid Modifier Guide...

Vehicle Speed Signal

Note: If non-OEM tires are mounted on the vehicle, the pulse per mile frequency will change.

Note: Any device connected to the vehicle speed signal (VSS) circuit will require a high impedance of at least 1 megaohm. If this speed signal is compromised (by using a device with low impedance), the navigation system may not be able to show the correct position of the vehicle as accurately.

The vehicle speed signal (VSS) is sent from the brake system control module to the navigation system through circuit 679 (GY/BK). If the vehicle is not equipped with a navigation system, circuit 679 (GY/BK) ends in connector C210 pin 5. With OEM tires on the vehicle, the signal is 31924 pulses per mile.

Last edited by rdinatal; 01-04-2007 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 PM

-R

Vehicle Speed Signal

Note: If non-OEM tires are mounted on the vehicle, the pulse per mile frequency will change.

Note: Any device connected to the vehicle speed signal (VSS) circuit will require a high impedance of at least 1 megaohm. If this speed signal is compromised (by using a device with low impedance), the navigation system may not be able to show the correct position of the vehicle as accurately.

The vehicle speed signal (VSS) is sent from the brake system control module to the navigation system through circuit 679 (GY/BK). If the vehicle is not equipped with a navigation system, circuit 679 (GY/BK) ends in connector C210 pin 5. With OEM tires on the vehicle, the signal is 31924 pulses per mile.
Notice it says the if there is no NAV the signal ENDS in connector C210 pin 5. I'm guessing that means the harness that goes to the back of the radio doesn't have a pin that is VSS unless you have a NAV. You probably have to go back to the computer (wherever connector C210 is) to tap into it there... So you might have to run a wire through the firewall (where is the CPU on this thing? I'd guess in the engine compartment but its a guess.... there are a ton of wires leading from the engine compartment to the firewall as I recall.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 PM

-R

Vehicle Speed Signal

On a somewhat unrelated note....I wonder if some of the people that complain that their NAV system is so far off (when it has no fix ) have their tire pressures up at 40PSI or more and that is throwing off the VSS distance sensor so the NAV can't guess how far they've gone... also wonder if that throws off their MPG numbers reported by the NAV.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmm, I was just thinking the same when you posted this. If I over-inflate my tires I may actually get better mpg than either the nav system or the odometer is telling me.

There's an initial benefit due to the reduced rolling resistance of the harder tire (which will show up in mpg calcs) but a secondary bump from the increased effective diameter. If each revolution of the wheel carries me just 1% further then my mpg will be understated by 1%. That's a good thing in terms of the environment, less good if I want to know accurately what I'm getting.

Quick Reply: Speed Volume option on radio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands