Squeak in front end

Old 07-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Squeak in front end

I have a squeak that seems to be coming from the front wheel of my 2006 FEH FWD. It is wheel speed related as it varies with the speed of the vehicle. It seems to only happen at lower speeds and after I have driven it for awhile in hot weather. Sometimes I can get it to do it when I make a slow right turn. Applying the brakes does not make a difference. I have had it back to the dealer but of course they could not get it to squeak. I notice it more when coming off a run on the interstate then slow driving in town.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeak in front end

We're having the same problem on our 2007 FEH FWD. I had it to the dealer last week, but just as you experienced, they couldn't reproduce it. We're going to wheel it in there some time when it's making the noise.

I'll watch this thread to see if you figure it out before I do -- If I do, I'll post something for you.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am getting the same thing on my 08 but i thought it was coming from the rear but maybe not. I hear it real good going slow like in a parking garage if i am in EV.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Enthusiast

It has been a year since I first posted this and this summer I have not noticed the squeak at all. I now have about 25,000 miles on the car. One thing I did notice when I was hearing the squeak was that if I tapped the brake or put on the hand brake for a second it would go away for awhile.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

I have the dame problem in my 2007 Escape Hybrid. It is with Ford Serivce right now and they can't hear it. It is frustrating.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IndyBob
It has been a year since I first posted this and this summer I have not noticed the squeak at all. I now have about 25,000 miles on the car. One thing I did notice when I was hearing the squeak was that if I tapped the brake or put on the hand brake for a second it would go away for awhile.
The hand brake would (as far as I know) only actuate parking brakes that are in the rear... not the front. So that's interesting.

I had a Ford Probe that had a sqeak in the front... turned out to be the bearing on the strut at the top in the suspension. I even knew it was in the strut eventually because I could hear it right in that area if I listened carefull. My dealer couldn't hear it at of course.... one day I noticed it was worse when it rained... so I took a high pressure wash hose pointed it up into the strut and blasted it full blast... that worked.... I drove into the dealer a few hours later with the front end going SSSSSQQQQQQQUAAAAAAAAKKKKK loud enough it would knock birds from the sky. Oddly enough, they didn't complain that they couldn't hear it anymore and found it right away.

That story may be more for amusement than anything because I have no idea what kind of strut/suspension the FEH has up front. The Probe had MacPherson struts.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bstewart
We're having the same problem on our 2007 FEH FWD. I had it to the dealer last week, but just as you experienced, they couldn't reproduce it. We're going to wheel it in there some time when it's making the noise.

I'll watch this thread to see if you figure it out before I do -- If I do, I'll post something for you.

Update & Correction -- We started having the squeak again, and have now verified that it is coming from the REAR left wheel area. Now, if we can just get it to do it during the day when the dealer can hear it !!