Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

We have about 2,000 miles on our 2006 FEH, and it's developed a very loud squeak in th back end. It's most noticable when accellerating at low speeds (I think it's worse when the ICE is on). It doesn't seem directly related to bumps, and it seems worse when cornering. We have the FWD so I don't understand why it would be worse under accelleration - unless it's the suspension.

Anyone else have this? I need to check the spare tire to make sure it's not loose - it's coming from that area. What confuses me is that it isn't as loud when going over bumps... Could a shock have developed a bad spot where slight movements in that range cause a real loud noise?

Old 11-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Usually the squeak from the rear at low speeds is the brakes. Try engaging the parking brake at low speeds and then release it - this will get rid of the squeak unless it's something else.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Struggler at large

is it constant? or is it just a chirp? Mine used to chirp all the time in the warmer weather. It only happened when the ICE was on. Other than that, it was really unpredictable. we'd just be driving along and suddenly CHIRP! ... more driving ... CHIRP! ... ... ... CHIRP! that sort of thing. it hasn't done it for a while, and i am assuming it is because the weather has cooled down. i think it was related to the cooling system for the battery pack, but i really don't know. i could never seem to actually make it happen when i was trying to get someone else to hear it.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Well, playing with the paking brake didn't make any difference.

It's loudest at low speeds when accellerating or turning. It seems to do it at higher speeds - but maybe the wind is drowning it out?

I also checked the spare tire - and it isn't loose.

It sounds like a squeaky wagon wheel (Anyone lose a Radio Flyer?). To me it sounded like it was outside the vehicle and below - but I had a passenger say it sounded like it was coming from the in the rear drivers side window (hybrid battery pack cooling duct?). It's not a whir like plastic fans normally make on their way out (or have they've done to me) - but I guess it could be the fan for the battery pack. Where is that thing?

I'll have to crawl around the back end while my wife drives it around tonight. It's getting louder, and more annoying. It really makes the vehicle seem cheap when you hear it.

25 years ago, 60 miles from home (near nothing), on a winter's evening - my brother's convertible TR6 started making a weird noise from the rear end (He didn't have a top for it - so I guess it wasn't really a convertible). We pulled over a couple of times and checked the spin off's on the hubs - and they were tight. Then at about 60mph the car shook violently, there was a sound (and feeling) as though we had been hit from behind - and we careened to a stop. We were really lucky we didn't flip. The TR6 wheels had spinoff hubs that allowed the wheels to be changed quickly, and that was tight. But the carrier to that was mounted with 4 lug bolts - all of which had lost their nuts. The wheel came off and then struck the rear of the car. We were planning on being home before dark so we didn't have warm clothes, flashlights, or anything. Ever since then - I find it hard to ignore noises that I can't explain...

Old 11-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You may want to take it in and have it looked at. Never heard of anything like that before.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:34 PM

Just got my cable service back from the Huricane Wilma damage a few weeks ago. The eye lasted over an hour and Jupiter took a direct hit, what a mess.

I've had the squeaky brake problem for awhile. It comes and goes and I can tell the rear brake discs are looking uneven. The front brake discs look like new after 15,000 miles.

It really is a loud squeak if you drive in EV with the windows down. Its been gone for about 10,000 miles but I heard it again the other day. It only lasted a few miles and it wasn't as loud this time. This happen on my 1999 Navigator and the dealer replaced the rotors and the pads at 10,000 miles. You need to take it in while it is squeaking and ask for a replacement.

Gary

Old 02-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

We've had the squeak in the left rear several times now...

First trip in they removed the body panels inside, and managed to damage them - but the squeak went away for a day or 2.

The next time they replaced the rear struts - and the problem went away. They also replaced SOME of the panels they damaged.

The third time the squeak came back with a vengeance. I found you could stand next to the rear of it and push/pull the car side to side and really demonstrate the sqeak. This time they claimed that they "oiled" the shock - and it went away for a few months.

Well - it's back again. A squeak when driving that appears to be associated with the left rear suspension. And just to keep it interesting - the left rear wheel seems to be squeaking as it turns.

Anyone got a real fix for these? Have you had the same squeak?

Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Enthusiast

I have experienced the same chirping sound coming, first form the rear left and then from the rear right as well. The chirping was especially pronounced when I turned the vehicle. The sound diminished or went away at speed but 20MPH or slower it would pick-up again, regardless of EV or ICE. I compalined to the dealer about it and they recommended I bring it in. That being said, I took it in for a car wash and the wheels were pressure washed and scrubbed. Haven't heard a peep out of them for 3 days now. I am wondering if the mechanical devices in the brakes catch brake dust causing the squeak. I am keeping my fingers crossed and my rims clean. I'll let you know if the chirp returns and whether another pressure wash clears it up.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's the brakes. Rear brakes aren't used as much as front, and in the FEH sometimes are not used at all, so there can be some oxidation (or other) buildup that can cause this noise. Next time you hear it, try pulling the parking brake. That usually makes it go away.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

We haven't been able to make any difference in the squeak by using the parking brake, or the driving brake.

Quick Reply: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands