SSN on cold engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default SSN on cold engine

The last two days I've gotten a stop safely now message shortly after leaving my house. The temperature outside is about 35* and I'm getting the message within a half mile from home. I have to pull over and pull the negative battery terminal quickly and the car will start right up and have no more problems. Any ideas what it could be?

I've been searching and wondering if it could be the 12 volt battery. I've only owned the car for a few months so I have no idea how long the battery has been in there or how it has been treated.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: SSN on cold engine

I'm having the same problem. Usually at temps of 20. I have replaced the mecs pump, cleaned the throttle body and changed relays. Did it again this morning. Always seems to do it within a mile of the house only on cold mornings. Have you had any success finding a resolution to your problem? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

Apparently there is a service bulletin that adds a wiring harness inside the battery pack. In my case it had already been done. Lots of testing and calls to Ford and it turned out that the battery controller was bad. I used car-part.com to get a new battery pack for $300 and swapped it in the garage. Problem solved. No problems since.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Enthusiast

Mine has had the harness replaced too. What do you mean by "lots of testing?" Do you think having the codes read by ford would identify the problem?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

In my case, reading the codes didn't help. The controller was bad so it was giving a SSN error for no reason. I had the codes checked, but there was no explanation for the problem. I would see what you can get a pack for, it may be cheaper to get it than have all of the diagnostics done.

By lots of testing, I mean I had my truck at the shop for a week so they could do point to point testing of the hybrid system and after all of that they still didn't know what was going on.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

This has been very helpful thank you. By new battery pack do you mean replacing the entire hybrid battery?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Yes. It only takes a few minutes, then run through the jump procedure a couple times (the button by the driver's knee) and you're good to go. Just be careful, it's really heavy.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Ok. Thanks so much for your help. I've got an appt. to have the codes read tomorrow. I'm going to start with that and see where I end up.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by mullenba
Yes. It only takes a few minutes, then run through the jump procedure a couple times (the button by the driver's knee) and you're good to go. Just be careful, it's really heavy.
Congrats on that! Some get overly scared with all the cautions they put on this HV Battery Pack. It ain't rocket science! Just use common sense and you'll be okay.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast

Had the codes read and they wanted to replace hv harness and reprogram bcm for $835. $35 parts and $800 labor. Since the harness had been replaced once already they agreed to just reprogram the bcm. One week later and several cold mornings with no problems.

Quick Reply: SSN on cold engine

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands