SSN immediately after pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default SSN immediately after pump replacement

I understand the feh mec pump issue has been addressed many times in this forum. I've tried looking for this specific issue but couldn't find anything...

Ive just recently started getting the SSN message quite often within 30 seconds of a key cycle. I've checked and verified that the MEC pump does not run when the message comes up and the quick battery reset temporary fixes the issue.

Its gotten to the point where the message began coming up so often that a simple battery reset would not clear it. So I replaced the pump and did a complete coolant flush for the system and replace he battery air filter. Everything was running fine and clear for about 20 miles, then about to leave for work, the message came up again after 15-20 seconds after starting the car. The pump was not running.

Anyone else run into this after replacing the pump? Maybe a connection issue or a reflash in need?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: SSN immediately after pump replacement

Just happened again. Looked at the actuator in the back behind the air filter, it was wide open. Reset the battery, it was closed and it runs fine. Perhaps this is the issue? The pump must have not been running because the SSN was already activated before I got to the pump I suppose.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SSN immediately after pump replacement

The MECS pump should run continuously. If it isn't, I would suspect the relay that controls the pump.

An MECS pump failure cannot directly trigger a SSN message, the cooling system would need to reach an over temperature trigger point first, which would probably take minutes of driving to happen.