SSN shut down, no codes?

Old 07-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
Question SSN shut down, no codes?

My 2008 hybrid goes into "Stop Safely Now" shut down only after hiway driving. It seems to do it when I've slowed down or let off the gas. It starts back up immediately after I pull over and turn it off. I've been googling my issue for about an hour and none of the normal DTC codes are accompanying my SSN issue. I do, however, have a P0446 EVAP code, and a C1142 front right tone ring ABS code.

Before I went out to trouble shoot, I had a variety of other related ABS codes, but I disconnected and reconnected the battery and made sure I was clear of any codes before I went out. The tone ring code was the only one that has come back on. Eventually the EVAP code came back too.

During my troubleshooting, I had 3 hiway driving SSN shut downs about 5-10 minutes apart each time before I eventually got off the hiway and got home using city streets without any problem.

Could my EVAP or ABS problem be causing my SSN shut down? Could my PCM just need to be reflashed?

Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: SSN shut down, no codes?

UPDATE:

I went back into my code reader and found a section called "Ford Enhanced DTC" and found a continuous memory P1A0D code (Hybrid Powertrain Control Module -- Generator Disabled). I'm not sure why it wasn't in the main DTC screen. I had brought my scanner along with me and literally plugged it in and did a scan on the side of the hiway with the red exclamation triangle still lit up and I didn't come up.

Anyways I found a video by FordTechMakuloco on YouTube (link below) that shows you how to test the inverters cooling system pump when you've got the P1A0D code, and my pump appears to have broken because I can't feel any vibration whatsoever in the cooling lines.