stereo installation in '05 FEH.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default stereo installation in '05 FEH.

For those of you that have replaced the stock cd changer with an aftermarket unit, I have a few questions.

I'm not terribly happy with the stock unit (I don't have the nav system, just the basic 6 disc changer), and prior to trading in our civic I figured I'd hang on to our aftermarket HU. Now I'm planning on installing it in the FEH, but when looking up the wire harness from various places, they don't specify anything particular to the FEH.

I would just like to be sure prior to purchasing the wire harness that there are no differences betweeh the '05 FEH and the '05 FE, and that it's not just that the stores don't stock the item, or know nothing about the hybrid.

Also, of those who have installed new head units, and haven't gone with double DIN sized units, what manufacturers have you gone with for dash kits? I personally don't like the plastic fillers, but have to live with it until I want to upgrade the stereo to something better. I've seen a lot of kits with some pretty skimpy pockets (looks like you can only get a single jewel case in them), and I'm hoping there is one that has a decent sized pocket for some added storage (phone, etc.).

Any suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jeff.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: stereo installation in '05 FEH.

I went with an aftermarket unit in my '06 FEH. Pretty sure the 05 and 06 and the FE and FEH are all the same size opening.

I absolutely LOVE my stereo. Couldn't really have asked for much more. It only took a little bit of coaxing to get the double-din stereo to fit and in the end, I think it looks much much much better than using those little fillers.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...9389#post19389

Old 12-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah I took a look at those pics earlier. They look nice. I'd love to go out and get a nice new unit with gps etc... but for now I'm stuck using a single DIN dash kit.

Did you do the installation yourself? Was the wire harness specific or modified for the hybrid, or was it standard for the '06 escape?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

No, I had it professionally installed. Only like $150 though, so it was well worth it. I wouldn't have had the guts to make the "minor modifications" to the inside of the dash that were necessary to fit the DD. Otherwise though it was the standard mounting bracket that came with the stereo for all models.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

The Ford Escape Hybrid BASIC radio uses a Visteon Type I Jukebox Harness. The "Audiophile Sound System" uses a Type II Jukebox Harness. You can buy either harness from a Ford Radio repair depot (Royal Radio in Royal Oak, MI is an example of a Ford Radio repair depot -- all local dealers send their radios to Royal Radio for service).

Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: stereo installation in '05 FEH.

Sorry, I think I may have been misunderstood. I'm wondering if there are differences between the '05 escape harness, and the '05 escape hybrid harness. I am looking at purchasing something similar to this (but through a local audio shop):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-70L4g83...00&I=120701771

(hopefully the link works, I've filtered on the '05 escape without the Mach system)

Now one place I called, I specified that I had a hybrid and they didn't seem to know much (surprise surprise), I'd just like to avoid any difficulties after purchasing, soldering, etc. I suppose I could just go ahead purchase the one for the regular escape, pull the stereo from the dash and compare the connector to the aftermarket harness.

jeff.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

The link that you posted is NOT the harness that you need. You should call Crutchfield and mention the "names" of the harness that I posted in my last posting. Their technicians might have more information on these Jukebox harnesses.

Also, please note that the harnesses for the 05 Escape, 05 Escape Hybrid, 06 Escape, and 06 Escape Hybrid are ALL the same.

The only difference in ANY of these models is whether your car is wired for the "Audiophile" sound system (7 speakers -- uses the Type II Jukebox Harness) or the "Basic" sound system (4 speakers -- uses the Type I Jukebox Harness).

Last edited by feinstei; 12-13-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks,

I've seen another (if I pick with MACH system on crutchfield) that shows two plugs, one looking like it has 2 rca type connectors as well. I think that I will pull the stereo and take a look at what the connector so I'll know it when I see it.

Could the one I posted be for the single disc player and not the 6-disc?

Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am not sure if this helps you any - I hope it does.

When I bought my '05 FEH, I didn't really like the stereo too much but could live with it. When I was about to trade off my 2004 V6 Escape (which I liked the radio in) for the '06 FEH, I swapped them around.

I put the stereo/CD from the 2005 into the 2004 and vice versa. The wiring connections, mounting, etc were exactly the same. Once you get the removal tool (about $6 at Autozone), it takes about 2 minutes to remove and replace. Everything works fine.

Of course my '06 came with a stock 6 CD system but at least I only have 1 of those. I look around now and then hoping to find one out of an '04 to try in the '06.

Bottom line is, at least with the non-NAV units, the wiring should be the same.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, this gives me a wider range of years to go by, most of the local places I've checked don't have what I need, but I haven't tried many of the actual dedicated car audio shops.

I've already got the removal tool, so the removal will be a snap. Much better than the procedure in our '99 civic... I'm happy to not have to rip the dash apart just to get the head unit out.

Quick Reply: stereo installation in '05 FEH.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands