"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Originally Posted by S Keith
I assume it wasn't successful?

If the 12V is good (which hasn't been determined), then you have these options:

Get code reader on it where it sits (preferably ForScan).
Tow it to somewhere you can get a code reader on it.
Disconnect the 12V for 2 minutes, reconnect and see if the car starts. It will clear the codes and may permit you to drive, but the problem will likely come back.
ok I don’t have a volt meter or a scanner wit me at the moment but I do have a new 12v... guna try swapping them out and go from there... thank you let you how I make out shortly!

Old 01-24-2018, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

Hi everyone. I apologize in advance for my English. I have read this topic since the morning, but I still can not find a more accurate solution to my problem. Last week I bought FEH 2006, 118k. miles. The first trip around 250 miles went without any problems. On Monday morning I went to work (about 20 miles), but on the way out of the work a triangle appeared and "stop safetly now". I disconnected and connected the 12V battery again, started up and got home. On another test drive, the problem was repeated about 3 times per hour. Today I was doing my basic diagnostics (unfortunately we do not have a diag tool for American cars in the service, so the car was entered as Maverick "non-hybrid").
The following fault codes have been loaded:
P0685 and P1A10

After the start I went 6 miles to the first "stop safely" after "reset" through the 12V battery and continued to run another 2 miles. The error message usually occurs when the vehicle slows down or is stopped and waiting for the green (in position D on the gearbox) - but this may not be related. I have read various guides where there is a replacement of an electric water pump, but the error code is not related to this work (perhaps seemingly). Last week (before the sale) has been installed a new 12V battery, new brake pads and changed the oil and filter.
I asked the service to check the engine grounding and wiring to the 12 V battery, but I do not know if they could find a problem - this car is perhaps the only one in our country.
Will anyone please advise?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You are on the right track. The 12V battery is the first place to look. It must be load tested, and the ground confirmed to be good.

You might be able to improve diagnostics with a Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII reader and the FORSCAN app. You can also use a Mini-VCI cable and the Forscan app on a windows laptop.

Since you have no local resources, you need to get the best diagnostics yourself.

If Ford is in your country, it may be worth having them do the diagnostics as well.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith

You might be able to improve diagnostics with a Bluetooth ELM327 OBDII reader and the FORSCAN app. You can also use a Mini-VCI cable and the Forscan app on a windows laptop.

Since you have no local resources, you need to get the best diagnostics yourself.
Yes it is difficult to do good diagnostics over the internet. Many stop safely now messages are caused by HV/traction battery overheating. Do you have working cold air conditioning now? If not, your FEH cannot cool the rear batteries.Another sometimes problem is the rear HV battery fan assembly fails, this may be more difficult to fix since you would have to buy the parts from the USA.It might be useful if you get the diagnostic equipment to check to see the charging of the rear HV battery since it is probably over 12 years old now.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Agree with D-mac.

Forscan will give you detailed HV battery information.

FEH 2006 also has a HV battery jump system that can help maintain the HV battery when used the right way.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your quick reactions. Diag wrote that "stop" caused the HV battery control unit. The rear fan is spinning, I suppose its cool as it is, but dont have temperature information. Outside temperature is about 37°F, it should also not help to overheat.
After another day of finding a fault - this time with FORScan diagnostics I still had one possible question.
12V battery in FEH is a common car battery, or must it be special for this type of car?

The problem could be that last week a new 12V battery was placed in the car - but it's a very common 55Ah battery. Today, diagnostics wrote a low voltage fault, but the stress test with load gauge showed that the battery is in 100% state and is charged at 85%.
It struck me that while driving on the highway unit did not record a low voltage, but when cruising in decreased voltage and therefore could discover this problem...

Despite the Ford dealer in the capital, I asked for battery information and found only the BXT96R500 type that could not be sent from USA to the EU because it contains lead that can not be transported by air.
Could there be a problem with using an ordinary car battery?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM

I have an ordinary 12V battery in my FEH 2005. No problem.

Forscan should give you battery temperature information as well as rear evaporator temperature. Does the A/C work?

Can you plug voltmeter into power port and monitor 12V voltage while driving? Something like this:

Amazon Amazon

Or monitor with Forscan?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

What are the battery parameters in your FEH?
My battery has 54 Ah and 510A starting current ... I do not know if it is correct for FEH.

The price of such an ordinary battery is around $ 80, the original battery was around $ 200, as well as a traction battery or a battery for vehicles with a start / stop system ...
That's why I started to doubt if the battery is suitable and does not make any trouble.

A / C is working.
I dont think it's a problem with the battery temperature ... when the "stop" lights up, I cut off the 12V battery for 1 second, I start and I'm going ... at least 3-4 miles. If the battery was overheated, would the car still go on?
Then I parked the car, came in two hours, started up and the engine went off after 20 seconds .... all at an outside temperature of around 32 ° F.
I'm trying to find thermal data in FORScan app, but I have just some "lite version" for Android. I did not find much data except error checking.

I do not have a 12V cigarette sink meter, but I can try it with a classic voltmeter. I just feel that the socket does not work - when I was driving my car for the first time, I tried to connect the charger to my cellphone - and it was not charging.

Does it make sense to try to fully charge a 12V car battery, or try a battery with a higher capacity / starter current?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 AM

I do not know the battery parameters in my FEH. I bought a cheap one that would fit.

You need to understand the 12V battery in the FEH does not provide high current like in a non-hybrid starting battery. The FEH 12V battery provides electrical power to the car. Once the car has determined the HV battery is safe to energize, relays are closed to connect the HV battery to the system. The HV battery starts the gas engine. The converter/inverter then provides 12V power for car use and 12V charging.

Check fuse for cigarette lighter.

If your 54Ah/510A starting current battery is in a good state of health, it is not the problem.

Your 12V cables and engine ground wires may be a problem.

A full output of codes from Forscan is needed. You may need to spend the few $ to get the pro version for the best results. Small price for big reward.

HV battery temperature is probably not an issue. Since you are not U.S.A., I read all your temperatures as °C. I get it now. It's cool where you are. Not hot.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Some drivers found that checking and replacing the fusible links (not just fuses) in the engine compartment would solve electrical problems.
Agree with the other poster, many drivers use batteries other than a Ford Motorcraft 96R battery and have no problems. I use an Odyssey gel cell and it has worked great for many years!
Right now you also do not know if your high voltage (330V) battery still has good voltage output or if there are other problems.

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands