"Stop Safely Now" then on restart No Regen Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now" then on restart No Regen Brakes

The CAN bus should not be used to provide ANY power to any modules (including the Scan Gauge). This network is not like a USB system which is designed to provide small currents (100's of milliamps) to modules.

The CAN network is a differential network, which provides substantial common mode noise rejection, so if a module tries to get power from 1 leg of the network it will bias the voltage, and all signals on the network could be corrupted. Trying to get power from both legs of the network is also HIGHLY discouraged.

Modules connected to the OBD connector (J1962) should be designed to get power from specific pins designed for this purpose.

Most Ford vehicle have two CAN networks, one running at 250kbps (called medium speed), and one running at 500kbps (called High Speed). Most of the interesting stuff is on the High Speed network.

CAN (more specifically CAN 2.0b) is an ISO Standard and most of the implementation details can be found on the web.

What is probably happening is that the Scan Gauge may be requesting PID values too fast (which is different than the network speed), especially if it is a packeted PID (one PID request, results in several messages being returned). If possible try slowing down the PID request rate.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Dont think the problem is with SG as it only accesses the OBDII side of the buss. My Snap-On Modis however will not log off and gives me a communication error every time I use it on a FEH, no problems yet with other Fords though I doubt I have used it on a Ford CAN system other than my FEH.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just a quick comment. I only own/drive Ford Vehicles, except for my old 72' VW, and I use my SGII on all three fords, including the 08 FEH, and I've never encountered a SGII interface problem. And I always disconnect after turning the key off, and waiting until the display goes blank. It may even mention that in the manual, but not for sure.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

I got my "Stop Safely Now" message on 2/13/09 after filling up and didn't even make it out of the gas station. Keyed off, keyed on, wouldn't start. Noticed a lock symbol on the display, so I unlocked the doors. Keyed off, keyed on, and it restarted. Had vehicle in for 20,000 mile maintenance and had them check this out. They performed TSB 08-12-07. I was told this consisted of removing the display, cleaning off ground fasteners that were corroded and put it back together.

By the way, I have the same light ice blue mettallic FWD, so when I saw your post, it was kinda deja vue all over again!

Bruce

Old 04-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hello,
"stop safetly now" OBD Code P0606!
Who can help me?
Thanke from Poland
Martin

Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

My Snap-On Modis however will not log off and gives me a communication error every time I use it on a FEH
This problem was resolved with the new scanner software update.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

bachododge I am at home and dont have access to my information database. But the code p0606 sounds familiar.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bachododge
Hello,
"stop safetly now" OBD Code P0606!
Who can help me?
Thanke from Poland
Martin
Instead of answering your PM I'll answer what I can here.

P0606 is a PCM Internal Communication Error:

Possible causes: 1. Hybrid-Electrical System
2. Damaged PCM

Diagnostic Aids: An internal PCM failure, or a system FMEM (Failure Mode Effects Management) condition exists. Is there any other DTCs because that can fix the P060. FMEM is a operating strategy that maintains limited vehicle function in the event of a PCM or EEC component failure.

GaryG