Strange Issues - wrench light and low SOC

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strange Issues - wrench light and low SOC

Originally Posted by essentricaudio
Yes - I didn't even think about disconnecting the SG.... But this seems beyond that, I am on the phone with Ford, they are saying there is not any explanation or details in their system, but the warranty had been canceled previous to today. Both the dealer and the ford rep say that anything that would cause this should show up on the title, but we have a clear title and the title searches before I purchased it came back clear also.

Not sure where to go from here.
I would tell Ford that wthout an explanation as to why it was cancelled, it must be a mistake on their part and you will not pay for any warranty repairs. If you PM me I can tell you some other things you may want to consider. Also, I have a "spare" HV disconnect plug you could try. They list for $612 from Ford, although can be had for ~450 from discounters.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Picked up the truck from the dealer - of course they could find nothing wrong - they put over 100 miles on it, so they did plenty of road test, but I tried to explain to them that it works fine once it is warmed up, but when it sits over night is when the problems begin..... I guess I will continue searching on my own, unless I can get this warranty issue cleaned up.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I parked my FEH for 19 days without use.

The SOC was 48% when I turned it off 19 days ago.

When I turned on the car, the SG said 48% for a split second, then instantly jumped to 44%. This was with the key to run, just BEFORE starting. The starting process and backing out took the battery down to 39.x%.

So... we all know batteries lose SOC by just sitting around.
But how did the car know to adjust the SOC from 48% to 44% initially?
It is making some assumptions? Or actually measuring this?

Interesting nonetheless.

After 19 days, my 12v battery was at 11.9v.
I noted the car charges at 14.5v for a while under these conditions, then the DC/DC converter was putting out 13.5v to 13.7v for the rest of the day.

Early on, ( early 2005 ) I heard of people frying cell phones, iPods, when using the 12v power point ( cigarette lighter ) plug, presumably because the voltage got too high. I've not heard of that in a long time, and I've never had issues. But the DC/DC output is variable.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
So... we all know batteries lose SOC by just sitting around.
But how did the car know to adjust the SOC from 48% to 44% initially?
It is making some assumptions? Or actually measuring this?
I have been wondering about this also, as I have been troubleshooting my issue, I have notices this same behavior - the SG initially receives something close to where it was when turned off (and this appears to be actually received, not stored in the SG), then after a few seconds, it jumps to where the HVTB actually is, if you sit there for a while without starting the ICE, you will see the SOC continue to go down.

I am assuming that this is done thru a voltage measurement lookup based upon the results I am seeing, then after starting the ICE, the SOC is reported based upon counting ins and outs of the battery?

As an experiment, I disconnected the HVTB (Service disconnect, 6 pin HV and 40 pin Connectors) over night after having parked the truck with an SOC of 48%. 12 hours latter in the AM, I reconnected everything and started the feh - my SOC then reported 18% - so I am thinking I have a bad module somewhere within the HV battery that is slowly sipping off the stored juice - but for the purpose of your post, this is how I concluded it did a voltage lookup or something to calculate the initial SOC since it was totally disconnected and had no way to count / calculate anything in real time. But I don't know for sure, still somewhat of a guess?