Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast
Question Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Why is everyone so sure that this will increase gas mileage?

I have a 08 FEH AWD and by applying many of the tips I found here last year when I first bought it, I generally average 32 - 39 miles per gallon (my average speed is 70mph), depending on how many times in a month I drive to work (all interstate, I-66-->I495-->I395.)

Because I am guaranteed to wind up in s&g traffic, I can generally spend time on electric, but as the car starts on the ICE (instead of EV), how does having a fully charged battery help me? I'm very confused.

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I just mostly see a lot on how great this will be, but very little on why. Thank you in advance.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

With a plug-in hybrid, you get 20 miles to 40 miles of drive WITHOUT GAS!

You replace $4 gas with $1.50 electricity at home at night.
( or free at the office during the day! )

I've tested one I don't own, and got 141 MPG for a 5 hour city drive.
-John

Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

From the reading I've done, it seems most plug-in hybrids (both ground up designs and conversions) have a much larger battery pack than the current hybrids. The larger pack keeps you in EV longer and therefore much less gas is used if you mainly do short trips.

The reason our hybrids don't have these large packs is that it would be difficult to get them to a full charge just from the regenerative braking and the excess alternator power.

The whole industry is trying to find the 'sweet spot' between pure gas and pure electric. My hope/prediction is that we'll start to see a new class of commuter car. Small, plug-in or pure electric, but made with quality and finish more akin to current full-size sedans than other small cars.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

The conversions I have read also change the programming, allowing the car to utilize EV mode longer and with less emphasis on preserving the battery charge. In addition, the "hopefully" soon to be available technology will push the EV top speed higher and provide A/C w/o ICE. All this is an attempt to reach that elusive "sweet spot".

However, the end result is no longer MPG but a "hybrid" or MPE, where E is energy units measured in gallons of gas and KWH of electricity. It will be interesting when a PHEV-FEH is EPA rated 141/31 for City/Highway. The net result will be hypermillers touting the 300 MPE they get and others complaining because they only get 30 MPE. The real turning point will be when someone whose daily driving route allows them to run mostly in (PH)EV mode. Then they will refer to current TPH and HCH as gas guzzlers from their Esclade PHEV-2MH.

Last edited by doasc; 08-13-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Or to keep it simple, how about CPM or Cost per mile?

This is already complicated with ethanol blends.

Using E85, I'm going about 200 miles per gallon.... of GASOLINE!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbibbs

The reason our hybrids don't have these large packs is that it would be difficult to get them to a full charge just from the regenerative braking and the excess alternator power.
The current hybrid battery capabilities is also limited by the Ford software that controls it's state of charge between 40-60% range. That is only 20% useage of the battery. Increase this to 35-65% and the vehicle's capability would improve further. Ford software limits the state of charge status for improved durability.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 08-14-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:42 PM

[quote=Billyk;184530]
Originally Posted by cbibbs

quote]

The current hybrid battery capabilities is also limited by the Ford software that controls it's state of charge between 40-60% range. That is only 20% useage of the battery. Increase this to 35-65% and the vehicle's capability would improve further. Ford software limits the state of charge status for improved durability.
If anyone reads my post, they would know I only allowed my '05 FEH battery to operate between 40 - ~43% SoC most of the time in city driving. The only time I would reach the upper SoC limits is when I was on long roads that required speeds above ~35mph to stay with traffic. I avoid carrying around a full battery as much as possible.

The '09 FEH allows for a slightly lower limits of SoC (.5%), but it's hard building the SoC even to 43% in the city because it wants to go EV as soon as you get to 41.9% SoC. This and Fuel Cut causes the '09 to get 8-10mpg better than my '05 FEH, even driving the faster roads.

IMO, a bigger battery may not be the answer for non Plug-in Hybrids as far as MPG. Now with Fuel Cut in the '09, P&G allows regen and halts much of the engine charging the battery with the generator (MG1). This is like switching to very little gas with a lot more regen. On top of that, you can see with the Instant SGII MPG readings, the new 2.5L engine is much more efficient during acceleration with a low SoC than my '05.

I can't help from thinking many full hybrid built will be converted to a plug-in within 5 years. For this reason, I'm thinking very seriously about investing in solar and wind power for my home now. When people start charging Electric and Hybrid vehicles on the power companies grids, you can bet the cost of electricity will even go higher. I agree with T Boone Pickens, this is a problem we are not going to drill our way out of.

GaryG

Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain something that has been very confusing to me.

I now understand that a plugin will not help a current FEH owner, unless it is converted because the battery, the programming and the run profile characteristics will need to change. (Starting on EV instead of ICE for example.)

It sounds a lot like the plugin hybrids may be an issue of battery-dependency, as well as needing a more efficient regenerative engine. (Perhaps a reach back to the turbine cooling technologies?)

I don't see how our infrastructure could possibly handle 25 million or so more electric or partially electric cars being recharged on the current grid.

However, it is interesting that Ford has moved to a place of being quite generous with the EV in the '09 versions. Say by 2012, would it be possible to have a regenerative engine allow up to 50 miles per hour (or MPE, thanks doasc) on EV? I would hope that there would be an option to skip the plugins and go with something like a non-plugin Volt, where you buy gas only to power your battery. and only a gallon or two at that.

Gary, regarding TBP, I think we will eventually drill our way out, but it will be after a lot of cost and after many environmental compromises. i.e., I think we actually have the oil, but no way to process it with our current capacities. IMHO.

Gary does the 09 start in EV by any chance?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Originally Posted by gerric
I don't see how our infrastructure could possibly handle 25 million or so more electric or partially electric cars being recharged on the current grid.
You have some more reading to do. Many of the "operators" of the grid will tell you that they currently have lots of excess capacity at night that is not being used. Thats exactly when I plan to plug mine in.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Originally Posted by gerric
Gary does the 09 start in EV by any chance?
I know I'm no Gary but! I do own and know my FEHL 2009 does not start in EV. Like all past years. I have heard... maybe on here. That ford plans a "silent start" for the plug-ins.... Just heard don't know or have links.

Quick Reply: Stupid question time about plug-in hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands