Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic?

If we are talking about full synthetic vs a synthetic blend, the question is what is the ratio of synthetic to "dino" in these blends? I'll bet the oil companies won't give these %'s up freely.. So if you want a "blend" why not blend your own to whatever % you feel is worth it, because I guarantee the oil companies are raking it in when they do the blending.. Which was a brilliant marketing ploy... Like Glenn said a blend could be as little as 1% or less full synthetic...
Mike

Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic?

scmike:

The only purpose of blending, at whatever %, is to lower the manufacturing cost and raise the sales of a product by putting "Synthetic" on the label.

So when I was researching these to decide which one to use I looked up the MSDSs. What I found was that if they were 100% synthetic they only mentioned things like esters but that if they were a blend they had to mention paraffins and such. Even Royal Purple mentions paraffins today.

I found only Mobil One, Red Line, & Amsoil were what I felt were 100% synthetic. The advantage, for the long haul, of 100% synthetic is that the dominant wear characteristic comes from the bulk oil, not the package.

There's a reason that my 92 Suburban gets 15.5 mpg at 75 mph (western states speed limit) on the interstate and 5,000 miles per quart with 383,000 miles on the odometer.

In my observation additive packages are more sales oriented than performance oriented. Thus I believe that the additive packages for oil are likely around 5% of the mix. The purpose of a dino oil base with a synthetic package is to improve profit margins.

On a related note:
I buy the least expensive gasoline I can find regardless of brand and have observed that engine performance is brand irrelevant.

...And remember that bulk gasoline is traded back & forth between manufacturers... their additives are added only just before the point of sale (& if you buy gas at "Cheap Charlies" you may get no additives at all). Thus I infer that the only way to get the true benefits of synthetic lubricants is to use one that is really 100% synthetic.