System Check doesn't detect Bad Brake Light

Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default System Check doesn't detect Bad Brake Light

I'm replacing my first failed light bulb on the FEH, a 4157 brake light. Even though the bulb is failed it is not detected by the "System Check" function which still reports "Exterior Lights OK".

Even the owners manual (pg 101) shows a warning message for "Check brake lamps". Obviously this function doesn't work. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: System Check doesn't detect Bad Brake Light

Just another feature that in theory works but not in actual use.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
I'm replacing my first failed light bulb on the FEH, a 4157 brake light. Even though the bulb is failed it is not detected by the "System Check" function which still reports "Exterior Lights OK".

Even the owners manual (pg 101) shows a warning message for "Check brake lamps". Obviously this function doesn't work. Anyone else have any experience with this?
I had a headlight out in my Explorer and no warning light. A cop let me off with a warning. I didn't do a system check though.

Gary

Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 AM
OT7
Enthusiast

2005 FEH system check detected failed brake light.
System works.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM

On my 2008, when my brake bulb went out, the turn signal blinker started going very rapidly when used. Ford tends to do that sort of thing to indicate a bulb is bad. I didn't do a system check - I just replaced the bulb.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM

^^ On the '07 the brake and turn signal are on separate bulbs, so losing a brake bulb doesn't effect flash rate of the turn signals.

I'm still puzzled that Ford would implement a feature, and document it, like the brake light test and it just doesn't work with their OEM bulbs.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by econoline
^^ On the '07 the brake and turn signal are on separate bulbs, so losing a brake bulb doesn't effect flash rate of the turn signals.

I'm still puzzled that Ford would implement a feature, and document it, like the brake light test and it just doesn't work with their OEM bulbs.
The Ford Workshop Manual mentions a overheat condition on the rear end of a 4WD/AWD equipped model, what to do if it does, yet there is no indicator to inform you of this condition. There isn't a temperature sensor in the unit either. Just another documented item that "seems" to be not there.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
The Ford Workshop Manual mentions a overheat condition on the rear end of a 4WD/AWD equipped model, what to do if it does, yet there is no indicator to inform you of this condition. There isn't a temperature sensor in the unit either. Just another documented item that "seems" to be not there.
What vehicles monitor rear end temperature?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
What vehicles monitor rear end temperature?
Supposedly, Ford does. It states when this condition is encountered your supposed to pull over, let it idle till the condition stops. Forgot to mention that it also states when this over temperature condition happens the rear end will lock up full or 100% to aid cooling.

If this happens one hint would be that it woold resist turns because of the 100% lock up. If your on dry hard pavement, it real good way to break something too. No slippage, things go boom!

This is in the Ford books and has been for some years.