taking FEH 4x4 off road

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default taking FEH 4x4 off road

I posted in this regard before. I am looking for a DD I can take moderately off road. I am not looking to do any rock climbing, but want to do more than dirt roads. Of course, Jeepster would say a FEH is not an off road vehicle (as would dealers), but a lot of Jeepsters are pretty radical off road types, rock climbing and the like. I mostly just want to get into nature.

Does anyone know, say, where a "trail rated" Jeep can go and a FEH cannot? Has anyone put skid plates on a FEH? Lifted it? Bigger tires? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: taking FEH 4x4 off road

Yes, many 4x4ers will say you need a small wheelbase, body on frame, locking drivetrain solid axle vehicle (which these days is pretty much just describes a Jeep) to drive on a dirt surface. However, in reality technology has changed and other vehicles will do fine in moderate off road conditions.

Skid plates and lifting won't help the Escape much because it has rear (independent) suspension arms that hang down and will get stuck on really rocky terrain anyway where you need more than 8" or so of clearance. That's why even though there are over a million Escape/Mariner/Tributes on the road, you won't find commercially available lift kits and skid plates. Ford sold some accessory skid plate looking panels for the earliest models but I don't know if these would fit an FEH.

I think everyone you find here that takes their FEH in the dirt has been pleased with its performance. I know I have enjoyed it! My only "modifications" have been to install a full size spare tire and 8-ply light truck all-terrain tires, neither of which have affected the Escape's main mission as a daily driver.

Last edited by D-mac; 01-18-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Missed some material.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have taken our F/awd Chrysler T&C "off-road" several times (the Lynx Lake area, dirt, creek bed, road{??} outside Prescott AZ comes immediately to mind) but heaven help me if it should rain while I'm "in there".

You're the only real judge of what constitutes casual "off-road" vs SPORTS off-roading.

Personally I would never go off-road without a purpose, (non-sports) destination at the "far" end.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Thumbs up Re: taking FEH 4x4 off road

I have been in some rough and remote areas in my FEH ( all stock ) and have been very pleased. I've been in places I shouldn't have been, and was able to get out.

Once, I went above tree line, in April, in the Rocky Mountains, on a dirt "trail" and got into some snow. I got to a point where I needed to turn around and go back in my tracks, but so did the 4x4 F-250 behind me!

Oh... I have a 2x4! Never been stuck, in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota Winters... Knock on wood...

Going reverse up steep or slippery you need to just punch it.
You can't ease into the throttle in reverse ( which is all electric ) because if the wheels don't move right away, the computer interprets this as a stall, and cuts power. Once you understand this, it's not a big deal. It's not a limitation, you just need to know it is there.

HTH,
-John

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

I would say the off-road ability of a FEH/MMH depends mostly on the definition of "off-road" and the ability of the driver.

I've driven a bit of off-roading with several types of vehicles. From front wheel driven station wagons to big army trucks. Only difference being the type of vehicle needed for retrieving the vehicle once it gets really stuck. =)

You don't even need 4WD to do moderate off-roading in the woods with no trail. Couple of years ago I was off-roading with a few friends in my old '88 Chevy pickup. It is a stock 4WD with only BFGoodrich A/T tires. We were deep into the woods when we hit a muddy spot where I finnally go stuck. When trying first to push my car out (too lazy to get winches unwound) someone noticed that my front wheels were not spinning at all.

Turns out I had forgotten to switch on the front axel. The truck has electric coupling to (dis)connect the front wheels from the drive shaft. Normally this is operated automatically when switching on a 4WD-mode. Only in my truck the contactor in the transfer-case is broken and someone has replaced it with a manual switch. I had my 4WD-LO on, but just forgot to flip that switch. So effectively I had been driving a rear wheel drive car all along...

So, yes you can do a fair bit of off-roading with a FEH/MMH. Specially if you have tires with a little more grip. As long as you don't brake anything and make rational choises on your course selection.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

On my 06 FEH 4WD, i have taken it many places i think a sane person wouldn't, i currently have on it a set of General Grabber AT2 31" All Terrains and a 2" suspension lift by H&R Springs as well as a brush guard (no positive effect at all), and others. I have taken it on beaches, through our latest snow storms (DE - 21 inches of snow), through the mountain passes in PA, you name it and i've never gotten it stuck, and i've never had any issues with it what so ever and i have close to 93K on my FEH now.

You are 100% right about the dealers and others saying it isn't an off-road vehicle and if you ever happen to look inside the owners manual it says on the first few pages "this vehicle was not designed or intended for off-road use" mainly due to the hybrid drive system and battery.

Really if you just want to do some light to moderate trail riding and some nature exhibitions just slap a good set of All Terrains on and you'll be set. The General Grabber AT2's i bought have held up EXCEPTIONALLY well over 12K on them and they are still showing 100% tread depth and are reasonably cheap (362 for the set, tirerack.com)

Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

One thing one hears a lot is the lack of a solid axle on a FEH and how that causes problems with articulation, power to the wheels, etc. D-mac also spoke to this, but I gather you have not found this to be an issue for moderate off road. While we are at it, how do you define moderate off road? In the mountains of PA were you on 4wd trails? Many thanks.

Originally Posted by 1997PGT
On my 06 FEH 4WD, i have taken it many places i think a sane person wouldn't, i currently have on it a set of General Grabber AT2 31" All Terrains and a 2" suspension lift by H&R Springs as well as a brush guard (no positive effect at all), and others. I have taken it on beaches, through our latest snow storms (DE - 21 inches of snow), through the mountain passes in PA, you name it and i've never gotten it stuck, and i've never had any issues with it what so ever and i have close to 93K on my FEH now.

You are 100% right about the dealers and others saying it isn't an off-road vehicle and if you ever happen to look inside the owners manual it says on the first few pages "this vehicle was not designed or intended for off-road use" mainly due to the hybrid drive system and battery.

Really if you just want to do some light to moderate trail riding and some nature exhibitions just slap a good set of All Terrains on and you'll be set. The General Grabber AT2's i bought have held up EXCEPTIONALLY well over 12K on them and they are still showing 100% tread depth and are reasonably cheap (362 for the set, tirerack.com)

Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
One thing one hears a lot is the lack of a solid axle on a FEH and how that causes problems with articulation, power to the wheels, etc. D-mac also spoke to this, but I gather you have not found this to be an issue for moderate off road. While we are at it, how do you define moderate off road? In the mountains of PA were you on 4wd trails? Many thanks.
You are right. Solid axles are better suited for off-road purposes specifically because you can lock the axles in extreme situations (rock climbing and such). Independent suspension and split axles are mainly for ride quality and comfort. The only problem or complaint i have with the FEH is that reverse is VERY weak, so if you do happen to get stuck your most likely only going to get out going forward. I'm not quite sure why the FEH's drivetrain is set up like that i think reverse is primarily used in EV mode hence it's weakness. But none the less i have yet to get stuck even in mud and extreme snow.

The trails i was on that i consider "moderate" off-road were in fact 4WD only trails many with steep inclines, small shallow creek crossings, lots of loose rocks (none bigger than a baseball size), and other muddy crossings/uphill lengths. To be honest i find it fun but would never invest in the equipment some of these guys have on their jeeps and trucks, i just wanted a vehicle that was off-road capable (if needed), good on gas, and wouldn't leave me stranded broke down and 4 years and close to 100K later I'm still just as pleased with it as the day i bought it.

I'm not sure if you can get skid plates for it but if you crawl under one there's a good amount of protection for the main components. If you're going to do a lot of nature/trail driving i do encourage a brush guard they are fairly inexpensive yet provide a good amount of front end protection in those "oops" moments.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe the manual has changed, but my '07 came with a small booklet with safety tips for driving off road. In contrast Toyota has made it pretty clear in all of their spec sheets for the Highlander Hybrid that it was not meant for off road driving.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just keep in mind that if it rains or snows while you're "in there", you may need a serious level of help to get "out".

Quick Reply: taking FEH 4x4 off road

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands