Test Drive a 4wd hybird

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Test Drive a 4wd hybird

I live in Los Angeles and would like to test drive a hybird in the desert.
NOT destroy it, just give it a go in some loose sand and see how it does.

Do you know of anywhere I can rent one for a day?

Mark

Old 06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test Drive a 4wd hybird

Not sure where to rent one, but I've had mine in some pretty steep and loose conditions without problem. It's very controllable and has great traction at low speeds probably due to the motor torque.

I also have an '88 S10 Blazer 4wd. Traction on the FEH is as good as the Blazer under most conditions, but the FEH is lacking as an off-road vehicle. It doesn't have the truck based suspension, low-range gearing, and skid plates of the Blazer.

But for desert road conditions where traction is the issue, not rock crawling, the AWD FEH hasn't disappointed me yet.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Have you ever been to Monache Meadows.

Do you think it would make it?

thanks mark

Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Any trail that is suitable for stock 4wd vehicles should be fine for an Escape hybrid. If you want to test drive one, you could check with your local Budget or Hertz agency, which should be able to reserve a gas 4WD Escape for you. The chassis will be the same, and the hybrid even has a little more clearance than the gas version. Be careful though, stock Escape tires are not made for rocky trails!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tigermidge
Have you ever been to Monache Meadows.

Do you think it would make it?

thanks mark
I've had the Blazer to Monache Meadows year's ago, but never the FEH. I agree with D-mac's post above.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Imported from Detroit

I've had a '73 Blazer, '79 Toyota, '86 Ranger and a '97 Ranger, all 4WD. I have a '09 FE 4WD now and from what I've learned about this so-called ITCC 4WD system since my purchase, I wouldn't put it in the same class as the others. It's the same system as what's in a Edge or Fusion with a different imblem on the rear.

That being said, I really don't know "how" strong that system is. The shop manual doesn't explain much or even show much of or about the rearend. Why? Because the "only" part(s) that are servicable are the seals! I was hoping for pictures of the ITCC unit but it doesn't get past replacing a seal. Anything else goes wrong, the entire rearend must be replaced.