Things to consider when buying a hybrid

Old 03-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Every once in a while we hear about markedly sub-par MPG data. The dealer says the car is fine, but that is just about useless..

I think a reasonable test would be to warm up the car, and then check MPG over about 10 miles R/T going 30 - 40 mph on cruise control. If the hybrid drivetrain is not optimizing the ICE, it will show up.

Any better ideas ?

Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Is the FEH right for you?

Originally Posted by kjr
I found this site a couple days ago, and it's more informative than any other I've seen re: the Escape Hybrid, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

The lease on my current car is up in a few months, and I'm tired of seeing 14-15 mpg for my city driving, so I was planning to by the FEH and feel like I was doing something environmentally responsible. But I only put about 8000 miles/year on my car, and my daily commute is about 7 miles each way, mixture of flat and hills. Based on what I've read from some of you, my dreams of doing half of my driving under battery power and scoring mid-30s mpg are unrealistic. If I plan do do most of my highway driving (i.e. family trips) in a different car, how much more environmentally friendly is the FEH than a standard ICE car?

Also, I'm 6'3" and found the driver's seat a little tight during a brief test drive of a V6 Escape -- will I be miserable long term?

Finallly, are there any changes in the 2006 FEH that would make it worth waiting for? The lease terms for the FEH are horrible, so if I get it I'm buying it -- I'd rather wait a bit if there's any technological advantage to it.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
I'm 6'3" also. The FEH is a little tight, but OK. You're other options for hydrid vehicles won't be any better. I've sat in the HCH and the Prius and they seemed much smaller. Haven't tried the HAH yet, but for the price and FE, I think you'd do better for more utility from the FEH, IMHO.

Even driving 7 miles, you should be able to eek out mid to upper 20s. Earlier this month, I took the commuter train to work with the station 2-3 miles from my house. Temps were in the 30s-40s and I still managed 25-27mpg. I only have 1000 miles on mine as of yet. My FEH warms to EV mode in about 5min, about the time I hit the rail station. So, you should be able to get some EV out of your commute (given the right speed limits, terrain, etc.)

15mpg-->to even 25mpg is quite a jump. You'll get even better mileage out of a Prius or HCH, but you'll give up some space and SUV "usefullness". For me, I found the FEH to be the right compromise. You will not find another small SUV that gets the FEH fuel economy on the market today.

30 mpg isn't out of the question, esp for 2wd. 35-40 mpg may be pushing it for most of us(except for sdcatcher! )

Driving only 8k miles a year you need to ask yourself how long you plan to keep the FEH. Even with rising gas prices, it will take quite a while to recoup the gas costs. Are you confortable driving a 10yr old FEH? (even if it has only 80k miles?)

I would suggest you buy by the end of 2005 so you can get the tax deduction. Leasing won't get you this and it is scheduled to be reduced after this tax year.

As far as prices...shop around. There are deals to be had. I bought mine at invoice in early Feb. If you live on the East Coast drop me a line and I can give you my dealers name & number in VA. They exceeded my expectations..a truly great buying experience, wholeheartedly recommended. There seem to be a lot of unclaimed FEHs floating around--as soon as the Ford dealers come off their high horse a little bit, I think you'll see some more deals, esp if the 2006s start rolling out before they are all sold.

The selling point will be the value you put on environmental conciousness. Only you can answear that question.

For more info, check out sdcatcher's "hybrid_ford_escape" yahoo group. That is where I learned the most info prior to purchase.

Nate Green

Last edited by Hybrid_SUV; 03-23-2005 at 10:23 AM. Reason: adding more data
Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking See your local dealers

I've seen in other forums on other websites that the first day for ordering (for at least fleet purchasers, but try) 2006 Escape Hybrids begins on Tuesday 3/29, with production to start in May in Kansas City (Claycomo, MO). At least here in the East there are a few Hybrids hanging around dealers. Most of them are loaded with leather, the NAV system, and the MACH audio system.

You might be able to pick one up on a dealer lot at invoice, if you find the right dealer. There's one that I used in upstate NY that sold me one off the lot at invoice last November, and does order and sell at invoice. FYI the 2006 will have a moon roof as an option, as seen from the below blurb from Ford PR at the NYC auto show:

New for 2006
The 2006 model year will come early for Escape Hybrid, along with a new premium package that introduces features that take the Ford SUV pledge of “no compromises” to the next level. Later this spring, customers will be able to select previously unavailable premium features – including heated seats, heated side mirrors, premium leather, audiophile navigation system and an available moonroof. Escape Hybrid also will be available in a sophisticated monochromatic color scheme, in addition to an elegant black.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dwmiller438
I've seen in other forums on other websites that the first day for ordering (for at least fleet purchasers, but try) 2006 Escape Hybrids begins on Tuesday 3/29, with production to start in May in Kansas City (Claycomo, MO). At least here in the East there are a few Hybrids hanging around dealers. Most of them are loaded with leather, the NAV system, and the MACH audio system.

You might be able to pick one up on a dealer lot at invoice, if you find the right dealer. There's one that I used in upstate NY that sold me one off the lot at invoice last November, and does order and sell at invoice.
Shelor Motor Mile in Christiansburg, VA sold me an FEH in Feb at invoice. Specifically would like to recommend Bowie Ciflt salesperson. (The only Ford salesperson I have met thus far that knew about as much as I did about the FEH!) Great bunch of folks there, I highly recommend.

They have two FEHs(2005) left--according to their website. Both are 4wd and on the "stripper" side of things. (Only options are 110v, floor mats, etc.) No Nav or leather. But hey, that's how I wanted mine so it worked out great!

Their website is: http://ford.shelor.com/ and phone# is 877-474-3567(toll free).

Disclaimer:I have NO vested interest in this dealer. I just got a good deal and wanted to help others still looking.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Future Hybrid owner

Hi Cowboy!,
As of 3/28/05, I'm still in a waiting mode. I plan on getting my first Hybrid sometime in 2007. As you may know Toyota is going to start selling two new Hybrids this year. Next month the Lexus and later this year the Highlander. The last article I read, indicated that both will reach 41.9 mpg. That seems a bit much, but time will tell I guess. I'm waiting for Toyota to come out with the Sienna sometime around 2007. It's projected to reach 40 mpg. I too own a Jeep Grand (Limited), which I purchased in 1999. I have a little over 47,000, only because I was still driving my main car to work which was a 1983 Volvo, which had over 210,000 miles. Recently I filled up my Jeep and reached the best gas mileage yet. I got 24.5 mpg. My best on the open road has been nearly 25 mpg. The sticker when I purchased my Jeep was 16 city and 21 highway. I must admit I cheat a little. During the summer time ( I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast), I runmy a/c for just long enough to cool the inside of my jeep, then just use the fan, or crack a window. I also use my moonroof. During the winter months, which aren't that cold, I keep my heater on again just long enough to warm the inside, then just use the fan. I know this wouldn't work in areas of the country where it gets realy hot or cold. But If I decide to get the Sienna, I know based on my passed driving habits, I can out do the EPA sticker. The same with the Highlander, or any other car for that matter. I hope this helps you.
Bob