Time for a Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Time for a Oil Change?

Originally Posted by Luke1975
I would guess that many of the hybrids Escapes used as taxis would be required to idle for long periods. Even a hybrid will spend some warming up time in the middle of winter waiting on customers.
Also in the summer when the A/C is running and not in Econ mode.

I can see where oil life would be less in the summer and winter as compared to the spring and fall. I still think all of this is factored in when Ford came up with the 10K figure on the standard duty oil change interval.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
Also in the summer when the A/C is running and not in Econ mode.

I can see where oil life would be less in the summer and winter as compared to the spring and fall. I still think all of this is factored in when Ford came up with the 10K figure on the standard duty oil change interval.
I think the 10,000 miles takes that into consideration, because that comes from the engineers, but my suspicious nature says that particular line in the manual appears there due to the "cut and paste" phenomena because it comes from a technical writer.

Though idling because you have in on MAX A/C would certainly require more frequent oil changes, so that is a pretty good example of why it might be there from engineering.

Last edited by TeeSter; 05-20-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

If you are using synthetic oil 10,000 would not be a problem even if the engine did not shut down. good info if you download and read http://www.motoroilbible.com/index.html

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I use Mobil 1, a full synthetic, and go 15,000 miles. I have very "light duty" conditions, and I also use an hour meter just on the engine to record engine hours.

In 400 hours of seat time behind the wheel, my FEH's engine only ran for 269 hours IIRC. ( that's more than 25% of the TIME without the oil being used )

Ford says to change at 200 hours if the car idles a lot.
My car is the reverse... it never idles! I can go 14 to 15,000 miles with 200 hours of engine on time.

In fact, in the city, I accelerate up to 42 MPH, ( 10 seconds? ) then release the gas in L and the car goes EV. Then I pop it in N and coast for as long as possible and wait at the next light or stop as appropriate.

So after initial warm up ( 2 minutes in summer ) my car engine is on for 10 seconds, followed by 2 minutes of off time in many cases. In one hour of driving, I clock only 14minutes of engine on time. 20 miles in the city with 14 minutes of engine time, that's lighter duty than all highway!
-John