tire pressure monitor questions

Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast
Question tire pressure monitor questions

I have a 2008 FEH and this year I am planning to buy some winter tires and rims. As I understand it, the tire pressure monitor is somehow part of the valve stem, so I would have to install them on the new tires and they're not exactly cheap.

I was wondering exactly what would happen if I just simply didn't have them? Obviously the tire pressure monitor wouldn't function, but is there any negative to that?

Also, I presume the dash indicator is probably going to light up. Is it just a solid light which I can easily ignore, or is it more intrusive (blinking and beeping)?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: tire pressure monitor questions

Originally Posted by Transient
I have a 2008 FEH and this year I am planning to buy some winter tires and rims. As I understand it, the tire pressure monitor is somehow part of the valve stem, so I would have to install them on the new tires and they're not exactly cheap.

I was wondering exactly what would happen if I just simply didn't have them? Obviously the tire pressure monitor wouldn't function, but is there any negative to that?

Also, I presume the dash indicator is probably going to light up. Is it just a solid light which I can easily ignore, or is it more intrusive (blinking and beeping)?
I know that if you have a single low tire, the light is illuminated, just a steady light. However I'm not sure what would happen if there were no sensors at all; it might throw a different code.

Why not just get new stems?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine went off last week...solid light in the dash and the info center said "low tire pressure"...no idea about the valve stems though.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slick
Mine went off last week...solid light in the dash and the info center said "low tire pressure"...no idea about the valve stems though.
OK, the obvious, did you check your tire pressures?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

yeah right away and it was right, slow leaker drivers rear, under 30 psi I'm thinking set it off? Been a few days now, meant to check it again and keep forgetting...hasn't gone off again yet but need to use a gauge on it...