Tire Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Replacement Questions

Hello all,

I just got a flat tire yesterday and dropped it off to see if they could patch it. Hopefully they can but if not, what would the recommended replacement situation be? I have 30,000 miles on the original tires so would it be best to replace two of them? four of them? and if I do replace them, any suggestions? I don't mind a small hit on FE if I get a little quieter ride.

BTW, I heard the puncture and almost immediately the "low tire pressure" warning came on. I liked that

Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Replacement Questions

I have no first hand knowledge of either of these, but have heard good things about the Bridgestone Alenza and the Goodyear Silent Armor Triple Tread. I'll probably need new tires next fall. You might want to search this forum as I think I've seen it discussed before.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe you live in the Bay area of California and that means no snow. I bought the Goodyear Fortera w/Tripletred tires for winter usage. I am happy with my choice and they work better than the Conti EcoPlus tires in snow and ice. Since you live where snow does not normally occur, these tires may not make sense unless you spend the weekends skiing.

John Morton has the Bridgeston Alenza tires and speaks positive of them.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

So what makes a tire loud or quiet?
I always figured it was the tread.
Big 4x4's with knobby mud tires comes to mind.

But the EcoPlus Conti's have very smooth, even tread.
And now that I have 59,000 miles, they are even smoother.
I never thought they were loud, but I don't have anything to compare them to other than knobby off-road tires.

In a lab, could they be a couple decibels more than some? I'm sure.
But can people in the car really tell? And how do you tell without a dB meter in the car? The quality of the road makes most of the noise, and this changes mile by mile.

I'm weary to think people assume more expensive tires are quieter.
Maybe they are. How can we tell for sure? Does everyone just go by ( go buy ) what the manufacturer says is quieter?

Confused... But I will need 4 tires in 1 year.

I do mostly highway... so quietness is something that interests me.
-John

Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM

Can't comment on the FEH, but I put Continental CrossContact LX's on the Expedition this summer. Love them so far. I hear that's also what comes on the Edge's. Good traction so far, and quiet.
I went over tirerack reviews for days before I decided. I was going to go with Michelian LTX's (I thint that was it) but the Conti had equal or better reviews in most categories (at the time didn't know they were on Edge's).
When my time comes, hopefully from remarks here that will be years, I would consider them for the FEH. Or might just trade the whole car for a current FEH (as the battery will be aging by then as well???)

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by salsbr
I have no first hand knowledge of either of these, but have heard good things about the Bridgestone Alenza .

I have Alenza's on mine & they are awesome.

The difference in road noise betweeen the Bridgestone's & the ECO PLUS is night & day.

My truck is so much quieter it feels like a totally different vehicle.

~John

Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Presumably, the Eco Plus tires are a much harder rubber thus there is less rolling resistance (LRR tires). I am guessing that softer rubber means quieter tires, but means more rolling resistance. I think that most people who have changed tires report better traction and a quieter ride at the sacrifice of 1-2 mpg.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

In the Goodyear tires, is it Fortera Tripletread or the Fortera comfortread or does it matter overall? I had the Tripletread on my Crown Victoria and was not pleased as they were very loud. We have had the comfortread on my expedition and my wife was sold on them 500 yards from the tire dealer. I am not impressed with the Continetal tires though and want to move to Goodyear.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just ordered Dunlop Radial Rover XT RV's from Discount Tire. We'll see how they compare to the mismatched Continentals that are on there now. The back tires are the original EcoPluses with 43K+ miles on them, the front tires are standard ContiTracs that I suspect the original owner put on before they turned it in at the end of their lease. In any case, the reviews on the tires say they're quieter and have better traction than the Continentals. Discount Tire had them rated 4 or 4.5 stars compared to 2.5 for the Continentals.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Note that tire weight is also a big factor in fuel mileage.

The continentals are light weight as well as lrr. They weigh 27 lbs vs for instance 32 for the Goodyear Fortreras.

MM

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands