Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Originally Posted by gpsman1

There is a little push button to put the car in "neutral" without a key at all, but the steering remains locked.

-John
I suppose that is how the police or Repo man would tow your car away without having a key....

Old 08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
prg
Enthusiast

You DEFINITELY want to have the steering column unlocked. That is what allows the towed vehicle to track properly. When the vehicle turns, if the steering is locked the front wheels cannot track behind the motorhome and a great deal of stress will load on the steering, at best breaking the lock, at worst who knows?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, we "flat towed" our 2008 Escape Hybrid FWD over 5000 miles last winter behind our motorhome. The Escape does not log the towed miles. I left the steering wheel unlocked so the Escape could track properly while being towed.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I guess I was thinking of the good old days with rear wheel drive and the tow trucks would lift the rear. Then, I do believe you want the steering locked or tied down straight.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrmckee3
Koio. Am looking at a 2010 Escape Hybrid and have a question that nobody seems to be able to answer including several dealers.

Does the Hybrid rack up miles on the odometer as it is being towed?

If so, is there any way you can prevent that from happening?

My wife and I are going to put about 12K miles on our RV this upcoming Fall, Winter and Next Spring, and I don't want to use up 12K miles of my warranty when the car is only being towed.

Is anybody out there able to answer this question?

Thanks
JohnMcK
No Mileage is racked up.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Hello, I just found this forum, and it has answered many questions already. I am looking at towing my 2005 FWD Escape Hybrid behind my 27 foot Jayco Class C. I have learned that the '05 owners manual was updated to allow 4 down towing. I also have learned that because of the "electric power assist" brakes, many supplemental brake systems are not compatible. Roadmaster has a Brake Pressure reducer they sell now with their brake system. I see Brake Buddy also has something, but I have not received response to my e-mail yet. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, I have a 2008 FEH and I am looking at installing a SMI Stay-In-Play system. The advantage of this system is that it relies on the braking system power assist being "charged up" so very little pedal effort is required. Since the FEH has an electric pump, the braking system remains charged up while it is being towed. I have talked to the manufacturer and they have many systems installed in FEH's and even sent me some pictures showing completed install. I have heard that systems like the Brake Buddy apply too much pedal effort and will cause tire wear.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

I asked Brake Buddy if their system was compatible with Hybrid vehicles. This is response.

"John,
We do not recommend using the BrakeBuddy with a hybrid vehicle because of the braking system on the hybrid always being active. Thanks."

>>> "brakebuddy.com" <info@brakebuddy.com> 10/24/09 2:11 PM >>>

Old 12-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koi0495
Hi,
I just got back from a trip to eastern Oregon. I towed my 2008 ford escape hybrid 4wd with automatic trans 945 miles four wheels down. It tow great.
What the manual does tell you is the process to get it towable.
1. turn key on
2. move grear shift to nutural. ( besure to have the parking brake set )
3. turn key off. ( release parking brake)
I had a non electronic key cut. This lets you turn the ignition on without being able to start the car.
Also at this time there are no supplemental braking packages for the escape hybrid. I had to brake hard a couple of times and had no problem. As soon as someone comes out with a usable braking package I will have it installed.

2007 Southwind 32VS
Workhourse chassis
8.1 gas engine
mpg 7.2
mpg towing escape 4wd 6.4
escape mpg 31.2

Hope this helps,

Ron j.
Does the key need to be in accessorie postion or just off? I noticed that after I put the tran in neutral and turned off the engine, I could not remove the key, but the steering wheel was still unlocked. I also noticed that if I put the key in acc postion it was also unlocked, but the odometer and other acc were on, and the odo accumulated milage.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlanE
Does the key need to be in accessorie postion or just off? I noticed that after I put the tran in neutral and turned off the engine, I could not remove the key, but the steering wheel was still unlocked. I also noticed that if I put the key in acc postion it was also unlocked, but the odometer and other acc were on, and the odo accumulated milage.
With the car in neutral turn the key as far back as it will go and everything is off. The steering wheel will be unlocked and you will not accumulate mileage or drain the battery. They key will stay in the car.

Quick Reply: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands