Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Default Re: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Originally Posted by deryld
to tow a ford escape behind a motor home, they say to go to the dealer and have the transmission fluid level lowered. My question is; do you have to refill the transmission then when you use it?
Deryl
Rockport,TX
This is a FEH (Hybrid) site Deryl and we don't even know what year or transmission you have. I have not heard anything about lowing the fluid on the FEH, but I have heard the '09 gas Escape 6 speed Auto has problems with that. I would replace the fluid in that before driving myself.

GaryG

Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Gary,
I know this is a Hybred site but since there was a lot of talk about towing the Escape and having the tranny fluid lowered on this site, I assumed someone would not mind answering my question. The manuel says to take it to your dealer and have him lower it to the levels required for towing. Sounds kind of weird to me but what do I know. Our Escape is a 2011 with the 3.0 6 cylinder.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast

No, you keep the fluid lowered to the point set by the dealer, which is just above the low mark. I even put a tag and tie-wrap on the dipstick saying to not fill the fluid level, just in case a helpful oil changer decides to fill it for you. Make sure you get the dealer to sign off and give you a work order saying that the fluid is lowered for "recreational towing". That way you're covered in case something happens.

So far I've towed my 2010 V6 for about 3000 miles with no problems. I do check the trans temp after a few hours with a cheap digital laser thermometer (about $20 at Harbor Freight) but so far it's been no higher than during normal driving, about 130-160. Like you, I still have many thousand miles left on the drivetrain warranty so I should be ok.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by deryld
Hey Gary,
I know this is a Hybred site but since there was a lot of talk about towing the Escape and having the tranny fluid lowered on this site, I assumed someone would not mind answering my question. The manuel says to take it to your dealer and have him lower it to the levels required for towing. Sounds kind of weird to me but what do I know. Our Escape is a 2011 with the 3.0 6 cylinder.
Wow! I thought Ford would have fixed that transmission problem by now. I would call the dealership you use, and ask them. From what I've read in the posts at http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...p?showforum=73 , people were reporting damage after towing as a toad and I thought Ford added a baffle to solve the problem. If the dealer wants money to drain the fluid and you can do it yourself, ask them how much fluid to drain. You can store that amount of fluid and add it back before you need to drive it again. Not sure, but I don't think you have a dip stick, so you may have to fill it at the transmission fill plug under the vehicle.

I'd join the blueoval site above and ask this question there. Wptski post at this site and blueoval and has a '09 V6 like you. He may post the instructions from the workshop manual if he has access to the '11 Escape manual.

GaryG

Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

Another note- you might want to check the RV forums, I like rv.net and just search for
Ford Escape. There are lots of posts there and good info. Some of it is scary, like folks who still burned up trannys after doing everything they should, even two or three trannys. Some others like me have towed for many thousand miles with no problems at all. DO NOT lower it yourself, get the dealer to do it under warranty so you can have paperwork to fall back on. There are links on the forum to find the TSB relating to the fluid level. Supposedly yours (after Feb 2010) has the later baffle in it but mine doesn't and so far I'm still ok.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jerrybb
Another note- you might want to check the RV forums, I like rv.net and just search for
Ford Escape. There are lots of posts there and good info. Some of it is scary, like folks who still burned up trannys after doing everything they should, even two or three trannys. Some others like me have towed for many thousand miles with no problems at all. DO NOT lower it yourself, get the dealer to do it under warranty so you can have paperwork to fall back on. There are links on the forum to find the TSB relating to the fluid level. Supposedly yours (after Feb 2010) has the later baffle in it but mine doesn't and so far I'm still ok.
Sounds like all good advise to me!

GaryG

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by jerrybb
That added baffle seems to be a false rumor as some being built after that date have burned up the 6F35 while flat towing.

This is just one of many issues with the 6F35 that some owners have and others don't. This can only mean poor quality control.