Traction Battery AC Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Traction Battery AC Filter

Originally Posted by mtberman
But I definitely don't know for sure. I'd be interested to hear if the code was on the repair ticket.
Unfortunately it was not. I checked the LCD diag menu (before taking it to the dealer) and did not find any trouble codes there either.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salsbr
Unfortunately it was not. I checked the LCD diag menu (before taking it to the dealer) and did not find any trouble codes there either.
From my experience with a Battery A/C door motor burning out. Some genius at Ford seems to have designated codes for the Battery A/C as climate control codes. They don't seem to be picked up by the scanguage and, worse yet, they clear on the very next restart of the engine (presumably because they aren't severe--which on a normal car they aren't but on this one an A/C problem should be a major code that is remembered!)

The only way the Ford dealer could read my code was for me to bring it to him when the light was on and leave the motor running until he hooked up the reader. It never showed up on the scanguage and the light went out every time I restarted the engine.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There is a mode $22 PID for battery over temp, $493A if I remember correctly (don't remember which bit.) You should be able to retrieve this with the new SC firmware revision. Since it is a PID and not a DTC, it might be set and not cleared right away.

I have had the battery temp read as high as 122F when getting into my FEH in the afternoon, and no light or code has ever been set.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

DD does the scan gauge read the obdII side of the pcm or does it go into the manufacture specific side of the pcm also? Does it logon to the can bus or only the pcm through the can bus?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The SG connects to the HS CAN bus, which is available on the OBDII connector. All nine modules are available to talk to. The PCM and TCM are stand-alone OBDII compatible. Most of the other modules also respond to mode $22 PIDs, so the SG can retrieve them IF the module ID is known. Fortunately I was able to obtain the Traction Battery ID, so all of its PIDs can be retrieved. The new firmware is great for FEH people. I'm not positive that everything is working for all other vehicles, though. Next time I see Ron I'll inquire.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I have taken mine apart and put it back together.
If you do the same, you will understand this car is not that "smart".
However, if you continue to not understand, it's no skin off my nose, you will just have a weaker understanding of this car.

There is no electronic sensor ( like there IS one on your gas cap door ) to tell when/if a HV batttery filter is changed. I am positive of this on the 2005 thru 2007's. I cannot speak about the 2008, but expect it to be the same.

You had a coincidence, and I can understand you jumping to conclusions.
Everyone in all threads on all sites have collectively proven that dealers and service departments are close to clueless when it comes to this car.
Sad, but true. You can trust me and be better off for it, or not. Your choice. It does not matter to me either way.

If the outside air door was open, and the battery exceeded 32'C (85'F) the door will close, bypassing the air filter all together, plugged or not, summer or winter, and the A/C will come on. If the A/C would not come on due to OAT being below 32'F then the battery power output is reduced or eliminated to allow cooling by lack of use. Yes this has been proven. This is not a guess or theory.
Also proven is the fact the car only looks at the battery temperature, and not outside air temperature. Hence putting an electric blanket on your battery in winter, and parking in the shade in summer helps.

No, the car will not "complain" if it cannot get any outside air. But I have a plausible theory. If the door was jammed and could not move, you may have gotten an error for bad door position. There is an electronic message for door position, and there is a DTC for door malfunction. There is no DTC for dirty filter. Perhaps the act of inspecting the filter at the first dealer ( or by yourself ) cased a door jam, and the second visit to the dealer, and/or the act of changing the filter un-jammed the door. Totally by accident in both cases, and totally by coincidence. This is much more probable than your initial description, since your description has a 0% probability!!!
-John

Originally Posted by salsbr
Hey gpsman1,

Where do you get your information?

What I know is that the dash light came on, and the only thing that was changed was the rear air filter. The light stopped coming on.

I have no trouble believing that the air door closes at some temperature. But you have not made any case to prove that the car doesn't care if the filter is plugged. Sure, when the air door is closed and the AC is on it wouldn't care, but what if the air door was open and it was trying to cool the battery? If it couldn't get any air wouldn't you expect it to complain?

-salsbr

Old 04-19-2008, 12:57 PM

I am not known to be much of a handyman but at the Ford dealership, I removed the traction battery filter in less than 20 seconds without any tools. I then took this "pollen filter" (as the parts department referred to it) to the counter so they could read the part number and re-order a new one. This $32 filter is all 5 by 3.5 inches. Ford part number 5m6h-19n619-AD

Photos:

Name:  TRACTIONBATTERYFILTERANDMEASURINGTA.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  87.3 KB Name:  TRACTIONBATTERYFORDPARTNUMBERS.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 04-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Getting close to a year, I decided to drop a K&N in front and replace the rear filter too, I actually didn't expect it to be very dirty, but it was dark, and chuncks of leaves in it, so glad I remembered to change it!

I bought mine at partsamerica.com (one of the places mentioned in the sticky thread) for $17.77
Wish I could afford a cabin air filter, $32(ish) to much for something I won't use often since we drive with the windows and/or roof open frequently anyway, and when max ac is on it's not used either...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
....Wish I could afford a cabin air filter, $32(ish) to much for something I won't use often since we drive with the windows and/or roof open frequently anyway, and when max ac is on it's not used either...
I feel the same way Bryan. I've driven a whole bunch of cars in my life without cabin filters, and I'm still breathing fine, thank you!! I may however, follow the advice in that thread that explains how to buy a filter at Lowes/Home Depot, and make your own cabin filter for a much smaller price. We'll see, not a major issue on my Radar screen.