Trailer harness location help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trailer harness location help!

I bought a harness at the local dealer today. The parts guy picked a number for the FEH, double checked and confirmed (only one).

When I got to install it tonight I can not find where it plugs in! I looked at the diagrams and found reference to harness 15K868, rear of vehicle, cell 151 A-C7.

Can anyone with a factory hitch please help locate the 4 pin round connector? The cabe is less than 3ft and has clips that enabe it to be fastened to the metal bumper support.

Thanks!

-R

Last edited by rdinatal; 05-04-2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: reformat txt
Old 05-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trailer harness location help!

Originally Posted by rdinatal
I bought a harness at the local dealer today. The parts guy picked a number for the FEH, double checked and confirmed (only one).When I got to install it tonight I can not find where it plugs in! I looked at the diagrams and found reference to harness 15K868, rear of vehicle, cell 151 A-C7.Can anyone with a factory hitch please help locate the 4 pin round connector? The cabe is less than 3ft and has clips that enabe it to be fastened to the metal bumper support.Thanks!-R
None of the FEHs (I'm not sure about the '08) have factory hitches. They don't come with them. You have to go aftermarket to get a hitch on the hybrid.

I can tell you what I did on an '06 but there wasn't any 4-pin connector. Additionally, if what he gave you just taps off the taillight power, you are in danger of causing the vehicle to think its taillights are out and you'll get a warning in your message center because of the extra load unless the trailer you are pulling takes very little current. Theres another thread where I describe the TWO modules that I used so that woudlnt' be a problem.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Enthusiast

Figures, I go to Ford the ONE time and they have no clue!

I need to figure this out by Saturday night as I'm moving my daughter from UNC in Willmington Sunday.

I can make an isolation circuit but need more time. I'll try e-Trailer but don't think I can get the parts in time. Going to look locally.

-R

Old 05-04-2007, 05:24 AM

When I got to install it tonight I can not find where it plugs in! I looked at the diagrams and found reference to harness 15K868, rear of vehicle, cell 151 A-C7.
The hybrids don't have that plug or that harness.

On the non-hybrids, the factory trailer wiring, is routed thru the same body hole, as the hybrid's battery coolant/freon lines. So, on the hybrids, Ford just doesn't support it.

There are other ways of wiring in, the light connector for a trailer, but using the non-hybrid parts from Ford, isn't it.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM

Figures, I go to Ford the ONE time and they have no clue!

I need to figure this out by Saturday night as I'm moving my daughter from UNC in Willmington Sunday.

I can make an isolation circuit but need more time. I'll try e-Trailer but don't think I can get the parts in time. Going to look locally.

-R
Incidentally the post with the parts I used is in "Trailer towing impressions... " and its Post #11.

You end up putting a connection on each taillight and having to run a wire and fuse back to the battery. The two modules you can put under the panel near the A/C for the battery or you can mount them outside the vehicle, they are supposed to be weathertight and they look like they should be. I had to punch a hole through the rubber plug behind the left taillight to run the wires through and ended up gooping the plug with silicone so water wouldn't get back into the taillight area. Not sure if that was necessary.

If you decide against the isolation unit, it all depends on the trailer. If the power is low enough you'd be okay I guess, but I have no idea what the breakpoint is. Also unfortunately it might not JUST be a warning in your message center... one guy reported that without the isolation when his trailer was hooked on neither of his turn signals would work at all. If he disconnected the trailer the turn signals would work again if I remember right which would imply it was a load issue, but its odd that it would disable the turn signal like that.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help on this. In the end I was chasing the proverbial non-existent connector.

The final result was that I installed a Powerline HD module #31826. Powered it from the rear power port I previously ran to the cargo area. The splices were tricky as I wanted them inside the body just inside the rubber plug. After a 250 mile round trip there are no problems to report.

One observation was that a 5x8 enclosed trailer removes 12+ mpg (average). This trip was a combination of Stop&go (city, up to 45mph), hills (50-55mph) and flats (55-70mph).

-R

Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

RE: MPG when towing... not surprizing.

I also have a 4L V6 truck suited for towing.

HWY no U-Haul trailer, about 18-19 MPG.
HWY with loaded U-Haul, about 10-11 MPG.

So on a percentage basis, I think the FEH is doing pretty good!
-John